Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Deployment of files from Teamsite
jitendra
Hi,
Is there anyway to deploy files from Teamsite to a web server without using OpenDeploy?
I noticed that all the workflow configurations, especially those for deployment reference largely to open deploy.
I was given to understand that though open deploy offers a great many features it is not absolutely necessary to have it to push files from teamsite to web servers. A term "Easy Deploy" was also mentioned in this context. Could some one please clarify if there is indeed a module called Easy Deploy avaiable with Teamsite? If not, is it that the only way to deploy is by writing custom scripts to transfer the files? What about Data deploy? Is it an independent product as well?
Thanks
Jitendra
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Is there anyway to deploy files from Teamsite to a web server without using OpenDeploy?
I noticed that all the workflow configurations, especially those for deployment reference largely to open deploy.
Sure - you can use any tool, including home grown, to transfer files from the TeamSite server to another server - OpenDeploy just happens to be a reasonably robust and feature rich product that, because it is produced by the same company that produces TeamSite has
hooks
in it for interacting with and/or making use of features within TeamSite. It therefore makes sense that the examples you see for TeamSite workflows use OpenDeploy.
Could some one please clafiy if there is indeed a module called Easy Deploy available with TeamSite?
EasyDeploy is a version of OpenDeploy with the following limitations:
No fan-out deployments are allowed. Deployments limited to a single target file location on a single receiver server.
No multi-tiered deployments are allowed.
Encryption of deployments is unavailable.
Running multiple instances of the base server on the same server is not allowed.
What about Data deploy? Is it an independed product as well?
DataDeploy is intented to transfer content and/or metadata from TeamSite to a database (potentialy an Application Server, but not a Web Server). DataDeploy 5.6 and earlier is a separate product from OpenDeploy. DataDeploy 6.x is a
module
of OpenDeploy - the tighter integration makes it easier to perform synchronized deployments of both content and data.
While you could use something that OpenDeploy to transfer content from TeamSite to a web server - I'd recommend using OpenDeploy in most cases. I do not believe the cost is that prohibitive (if you've spent $$'s on TeamSite why not spend a few more $'s on OpenDeploy? You'll have a supported product with integrations into the web content management system you're using and it's a rather good product at that). You could consider the cost of developing
and
maintaining your own home-grown system - but in the long run OpenDeploy is likely to be less expensive. You could consider the use of something likey rsync, but you lose some of the functionality that allows OpenDeploy to tightly integrate with TeamSite and you will have to go to two different places to get support for your overall content management and deployment products (I also think that rsync tends to be a bit more cryptic in its configuration, but I'm biased as I've been using OpenDeploy for 5+ years)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
jitendra
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I was basically looking for the Easy Deploy module. I understand the limitations it has. I just downloaded it from the support site. I definitely intend to use Open/EasyDeploy for all deployment activities.
Regards
Jitendra
iwover88
We use EasyDeploy with our current client too. It works fine if your needs are not complicated. We don't deploy to multiple target systems today (only Portal) but as the IT infrastructure builds here we can switch to OD when needed.
iwover88
jitendra
Understood. Thanks for the note.
Jitendra