Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Common News Requirements
System
It seems that most CMS-managed sites end up with a "news" or "press release" facility. I know the way I like News to work both in the CMS and on the live sites, but I'm wondering what other people have done for News that I haven't considered. I'm not really interested in the technical implementation, just the ideas that were considered, rejected and/or implemented, what worked and what didn't work, what you would do differently next time, etc. At the very least I need to support syndication (deployment by email newsletter and to multiple servers such as Intranet and multiple Internets), sorting, filtering (by date) and aggregation, but what else should I be thinking about, even if the requirement is not currently defined?
Thanks,
-John
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Dwayne
Well, by "aggregation" I'm assuming you're referring to grouping news articles into categories. One thing that I've done at some of my clients is to provide a facility to all articles to be "promoted" from these category indexes up to a higher level index. Sort of a "featured story" kind of thing, where, under the control of a site administrator, an article will be included not just in the category index, but also on a news "home page" and/or the site home page.
You probably also want to be thinking about expiration and/or archiving of old articles.
Good discussion topic. I'm looking forward to hearing what other people suggest.
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
Migrateduser
Actually, I probably should have said archiving instead of aggregation, but I guess in some ways they're the same thing. We don't have news categories defined at this point - only syndication targets. I will mention categories and see if there is any need, but this also sounds like something we could bolt on pretty easily later.
Thanks,
-John
Adam Stoller
Are you talking about dynamic news feeds - or static page generation culling information from other existing static content?
I haven't really spent much time doing either - but the former would probably be more likely to exist on the production-side of things and less likely to exist within CMS (unless you're versioning the live feed data).
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Even if we had syndicated feeds coming in, all news data needs to flow through the CMS for versioning, edit and approval.
The news items are pretty distinct - we wouldn't be repurposing existing non-news content (although a news record may link to any other content).
BTW, I think static pages are a thing of the past - this data will all be retrieved dynamically.
Thanks,
-John
Migrateduser
Didn't get much feedback on this on this or other forums - just trying to bring it to the top again.
It seems that most CMS-managed sites end up with a "news" or "press release" facility. I know the way I like news to work both in the CMS and on the live sites, but I'm wondering what other people have done for news that I haven't considered. I'm not really interested in the technical implementation, just the ideas that were considered, rejected and/or implemented, what worked and what didn't work, what you would do differently next time, etc. At the very least I need to support syndication (deployment by email newsletter and to multiple servers such as Intranet and multiple Internets), sorting, filtering (by date) and aggregation, but what else should I be thinking about, even if the requirement is not currently defined?
Jeremy
Hi John,
One project I worked on had a syndicated feed coming in. The feeds would automatically be placed in a workarea directory. A script would then run every 20min or so checking for any new feeds. It would move the new feeds to another directory. It would then create a DCR from the Feed and kick off a workflow with that DCR which would go through the whole approval process and then deploy to a database where it could be pulled onto the live site.
If I recall correctly there would only be a certain number of news stories displayed and then a link to the archive where articles are displayed for an amount of time.
Its been a while since then so can't remember the details too well now.
HTH
Jeremy
Gregg Faus
As far as ideas go you may consider using your news content in a subscription system. It is easy to summarize your content and integrate into a custom solution or 3rd party product.
You may also consider RSS if your site users would use it.
Technically, there are a few things I've learned from past experiences with larger news utility implementations:
1) If you are dynamically organizing/grouping articles you should include an archiving mechanism so that old content is not parsed. Generation time can balloon over time.
2) Use a master file (e.g. an xml file) that contains all the common info you will need to build out "index type" pages. For instance, I have a file which I iterate through (based on a date field, grouped by month) to build an index to individual articles. It's also used to build a "latest articles section" in an include file, an admin utility to manage articles, etc...
3) It is helpful to include an active/inactive option in your DCT
4) Use separate tpls for each page that is generated