Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
wizard based workflows
Hamjam
can we create a workflow like a wizard, i.e. it include more than one screen that appears on clicking on Next button present there.
Can it be implemented using Nested workflows?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Using nested workflows you could probably do it
Using a series of cgitask scripts in the parent workflow you could probably do it more easily - then instantiate a new sub-job based on the inputs already provided.
Depending on how complex the series of prompts are going to be / how much change they make to the overall workflow process - you could even do it without nested workflows
However - the current workflow instantiation form does *not* support a wizzard-like interface.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
nipper
>Using nested workflows you could probably do it
>Using a series of cgitask scripts in the parent workflow you could probably do it more easily - then instantiate a new sub-job based
>on the inputs already provided.
>Depending on how complex the series of prompts are going to be / how much change they make to the overall workflow process - you
>could even do it without nested workflows
& if you are a consultant you will have work for life since this would be a very difficult piece to maintain.
We had dynamic nested jobs here. The IW consultant did a fine job with them. However, they were very difficult to
change as new functionality was required. In the end I rewrote it, took away some of the dynamic requirements
(users were not too shook up about that) and wrote it in one much simpler system.
What type of WF differences would you look for ?
Optional approver steps ? That is easy, have a timeout of 0, it will go through that step. It is much easier to use a
bit of Perl in the beginning to set a value to bypass a step than to try to create a truly dynamic WF.
Just IMHO,
Andy
Hamjam
May i know the thoughts when you say the workflow will be difficult to manage, is it only based on the experience you had with the consultant.
Anyways thanks for the reply
PaulW
just remember that a workflow is just an XML file. So what could be simpler then just building the workflow using Perl, based on the intial screen values captured.
if they check a box which says an approval step must be performed, just call the method which outputs the xml for that step, and set the predessors and successors appropriately.
It also seems to be a good idea to just string cgi tasks together to make a wizard style workflow. You can jsut write some cgi pages that lokk however you want them to look. and then throw approvals and external tasks between them.
syim
Do you know if it is possible to customize the wizard? If I want to invoke deployment after the wizard have submitted the files, can I customize the wizard by adding one more step into the wizard to invoke some script before the wizard workflow is completed?
Thanks,
S.
gzevin
no it's not possible to customise the wizard, apart from the inlcusion/exclusion of the tagger
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
Does anyone know if there is an actual feature request open for this at this point. It's something that seems to be universally derided, but it seems like right now we are all just hoping they will believe Lissa when she tells management "all six billion human beings on the face of the earth think that this sucks". If we got an FR and got everyone added to it, that might be a more proactive way to get some progress on this issue.
Migrateduser
Well, I poked around in the feature request system. There is an FR that is similar to what you are asking for: 55882.
Here's what it says now:
Customer request for Teamsite to have the following ability for CCSTD:
1) Disabling of wizards specifically next action and add to favourite steps everytime content is edited or uploaded. Default to keep work in progress when already within workflow.
2) While allowing for removal of above steps, allow metadata capture with file update/creation or upload as is able to be done now
3) CC Standard to allow selection of files in "my modified files" as opposed to entry into anither wizard to select them before kicking off a workflow through submit. Ability to select multiple modified files and kick off workflow from CC Standard interface.
If this is not what you are looking for, be specific about what you'd like the FR to say.
lissa
gzevin
well, FR for this should by much more comprehensive.
I was told by K. Cochrane at 6 launch that the wizards would be opened for the user at 6.5. This did not happen. What is needed is a full possibility to add/remove ANY steps and add your own ones
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
It seems to me that adding steps wouldn't be as crucial. Couldn't you accomplish the same thing by putting a string of cgitasks at the beginning of your workflow?
I guess the one glaring thing that I see missing from the list is the ability to suppress the comments page on a cgitask. If I want comments on my cgitask, it's trivial to add a textbox and set the comment with $task->SetComment() so I could grab all that in one step.
gzevin
well, if we continue thinking this way, I can get by WITHOUT a Wziard altogether..
I think it would be beneficial to be able to wrap CGI tasks/(or JSP tasks, if they ever will be there) into wizards
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
I can go along with that. Actually, if there were a way to just turn the darn wizard off completely and put a "Save & Submit" button on the form in place of the "Next >>" button, I'd be happy as a pig in slop (or the equivalent Ozzie coloquialism).
gzevin
yes, true. Our friend Smitty always said that there is no need for 2 interfaces. I never agreed with him, but I tend to get closer and closer in doing that...
but seriously, I think that the CC STD is a half-baked product that is flawed in a few fundamental ways. IWOV was too quick in pushing it to the customer. But if these flaws are fixed, I could see *some" cklients start using it. So far my current client still cannot use it because of the performance issues. we keep evaluating the performance, but still not completely happy
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
DavidMusser
Lissa,
I just wanted to check... this FR did not make it into the last SP did it? If not.. any idea as to when?
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01
DavidMusser
Lissa,
I had this on another post, but since the main thing I want to do is handled by the FR... this link works and does what we need for this. It edits the file, and sets the allow task select to be false, or in otherwords doesn't let you pick what to do when done is pressed... but I know we are not suppose to use the /command/... urls... so my quesiton is... can we get special permission to use this one.
http://localhost/iw-cc/command/iw.group.ccstd.edit_dialog?allowTaskSel.flag=false&cwd.vpath=/default/main/internet/WORKAREA/workarea&done_page=/iw-cc/teamsite/common/refresh_parent_and_close_window.html&full_redirect=true&vpath=/default/main/internet/WORKAREA/workarea/file.htm
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01
Migrateduser
the wizard enhancements are still open. sorry.
lissa