Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
TeamSite for Linux
System
Today Interwoven announced TeamSite Workgroup Edition for Linux. Check out the DevNet news page for details:
http://devnet.interwoven.com/site.fcgi/news/index.html#TSLinux
Regards,
lissa
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Finally. I've known people who've been waiting for it for 3 years.
Michael
Hi Lissa
I was interested in the branding 'Workgroup Edition' -- is this just marketing speak for the package of 100 users and 5 websites or is their technical differences/limitations between the Linux version and say the Solaris version?
Cheers
Michael
smenon
Michael,
The Workgroup Edition is essentially a single-CPU, 100 users and 5 websites departmental offering.
This initial release of TeamSite for Linux also has a few additional limitations when compared to the standard TeamSite for Workgroup Edition when it comes to cross-product compatibility. For example, the TeamSite Linux version has not been certified with Metatagger or TeamSite Front Office Client and it has limited OpenDeploy capabilities. We plan to address this in the future. For more details, please check the product compatibility matrix available on the Interwoven Support Site.
I hope this answers your question.
thanks
--Sunil Menon
Product Manager
Interwoven, Inc.
Migrateduser
Here's the link to the linux compatibility matrix:
http://support.interwoven.com/resources/products/compatibility/teamsite_Linux.asp
hth,
lissa
Michael
Thanks Lissa and Sunil
Just for people who may not have ready access to the support site here is the compatibility 'fine print':
TeamSite 6.1 for Linux Workgroup Edition Cross-Product Compatibility
* OpenDeploy 6.0 (Support for file-based deployment only using TeamSite's virtual file-system interface).
o No EA deployment. No DAS support.
* DataDeploy 6.0 (Support for file-based, standalone XML deployment to databases using TeamSite's virtual file-system interface).
o No DCR deployment (unless accessed as standalone XML files) or EA deployment.
*note:
* Support for single CPU server only.
* Not an internationalized release, English only
* Windows client only with IE 6.0 SP1
* App server support is for Apache/Tomcat only (no support for WebLogic or Websphere).
* No multistore support
* No Support for Front Office (TFO) client, Visual Annotate, Visual Format, TeamXML, Metatagger, High Availability or OpenAPI.
Additionally the release note mentions that it doesn't support:
- WebDesk Pro
- TeamSite Administration GUI
- User Interface Tool Kit
So, still a fair bit of work left to do for the folks at Interwoven...
Migrateduser
Wow - this seems like an almost pointless release.
Michael
Yes there are heaps of 'gaps', but to be fair for most of the smaller/simpler sites that is pretty adequate. I have worked on a few sites where this would meet the requirements.
It certainly isn't going to suit an enterprise level requirement, but you don't get much from IWOV for 50K do you?
Cheers
Michael
Migrateduser
Sounds like a major customer may have demanded this version, possibly even specifying which features had to be implemented...
Migrateduser
As Sunil indicated, this is the first release of linux. The goal is to increase the compatibility matrix over time.
If your company has a strong business interest in linux, please be sure Sunil knows your requirements, so we can have your priority for additional compatibility.
Regards,
lissa
Migrateduser
I think most existing customers on Windows that are not using IIS/.NET or other windows technologies (and even some that are) would want to move to linux for the improved stability, but these customers would need to migrate entire solutions, so all the features have to be there. Otherwise, a linux TeamSite seems like a marketing ploy for new customers.
Migrateduser
This PR should probably be modified to indicate it's crippleware.
http://www.interwoven.com/news/press/2004/090704tslinux.html
smenon
The TeamSite Workgroup Edition in general is targetted at small departmental initiatives where this baseline functionality will meet the requirements. It is an intial release and we do plan to make it a fully supported platform with an Enterprise/Corporate edition in the future.
If your customer has specific interest in the platform for the Enterprise/Corporate Edition, please let me know. If there is sufficient demand for it we make a case for accelerating the Enterprise edition.
thanks
--Sunil Menon
Product Manager
Interwoven, Inc.
Migrateduser
Sorry I haven't researched this in depth (this is the first I've heard of workgroup edition), but are these:
http://devnet.interwoven.com/forums/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=PRODUCTS_TEAMSITE&Number=41035&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post41035
restrictions of Linux or just "workgroup" edition?
smenon
To be honest, it is a mixture of both. For example restrictions on single CPU, fewer users and sites etc are all standard restrictions in the Workgroup edition. The OD restrictions of file-based deployment only is a specific TeamSite for Linux restriction in this version.
thanks
--Sunil Menon
Product Manager
Interwoven, Inc.
megamala
Lissa,
In the matrix Supported End-User (Client) OS is Windows 2000. Does it mean it doens't support windos XP client?
TIA
MM Guptha
smenon
Yes. We have certified it only against Windows 2000 clients for this release.
thanks
--Sunil Menon
Product Manager
Interwoven, Inc.
Shakti_ThePower
Sunil,
We are planning to upgrade from 5.x to 6.1 on Linux this year end. Could you tell me by this year end is it TS on Linux supports Windos XP client. Becuase all of our users have windows XP.
Thanks
Richa.
Adam Stoller
I wouldn't plan on upgrading any production system to linux until after the first FULL release on linux has undergone at least 6-months of usage on development servers in the field. Doing so before then is just asking for trouble (and this is not specific to Interwoven products - any product being ported the first time to a new platform should be treated as a nice thing to play with, but you wouldn't want to depend on it)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
megamala
Lissa,
I didn't find any documention in TS for Linux version. We are planning to upgrade TS 5.0.1(Solaris) to 6.1 on Linux. I would like to read the documents before I start upgradation.
TIA
MM Guptha
TS5.0.1 on Solaris
Adam Stoller
I didn't think that the Linux port had reached maturity yet as a fully-functional-and-supported platform. I think it only exists as an "early development" release.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Bill Klish
I am pretty sure you can use the Unix manuals to perform your install. The only specific linux documentation are the release notes.
I have successfully installed a version using Redhat Linux 9.0. I tried to install it using Fedora Core 2, but the installer told me that RHEL 3.0 or Redhat 9.0 were the only supported distributions.
There are some limitations, but some of the things listed in this post are not 100% accurate. The UITK is setup just like it is on Solaris. You are able to customize the interface to your liking. The Visual Format, Front Office, etc. limitations are accurate though.
Also, Service Pack 1 has not been released for Linux, so I suspect a portion or most of the fixes in SP1 have not been ported over.
Incidentally, in some initial comparisons, running on identical hardware, the linux server seems much more responsive than the windows 2003 server. I need to get OpenDeploy still loaded on the 6.1 Linux server to perform a true apples to apples test.
megamala
bk99nd,
Are you using Linux version on Prodcution?
TIA
MM Guptha
TS5.0.1 on Solaris
Bill Klish
No,
We are considering a possible future move, but currently only have it on a test server to see how it compares feature-wise, performance-wise, etc. to a Windows or Solaris platform.
IWguy
It my understanding that Teamsite 6.5 SP1 (due out at the End of Q1/2005) will have Linux support. To what extent, I'm not sure but I'm hoping that it is more than what 6.1 had since our clients are eagerly awaiting it's release.