Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
container ID ?
nipper
Looking to track moves/renames.
Currently we have a trigger that marks a file as moved and from where with extended attributes so we
can clean up the associated DB information on submit.
One problem is that if I do a double move/rename:
mv A B
then
mv B C
The EA marks move from B while it is really from A. We can code around this, but there are other issues we do
not like about the triggers & I am looking into getting rid of them.
My question is that there is a unique objid (unique per version). Is there a Container OID available ? So if I have
a file /vpath/file - is there a way to track this ? I know iwrlog will provide the history, but I was hoping there
was an overall object ID that covered all versions.
Make sense ? Doubtful....
Andy
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
The objectid is for internal purposes and generally should not be used for anything else. They are only guaranteed to be *unique* per backing store, but they're not guranateed to always be *static*. If you migrate your branch to another store and then migrate it back - you may not have the same objectid's (there are other ways it will change but that's one).
You could make the EA an additive list - just append each move:
A:B,B:C
Then you could decode it when needed.
Alternatively, you could check the value before you set it - so that if it already says A:B and you're now planning to make it B:C you take the first part of the original value and the last part of the new value and make it A:C (or even A:B:C to show the chain of events)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com