Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
iwdtd2sym
Hamjam
Any suggestion on whether we should use 'iwdtd2sym' command to create DCT or not?
I find the datacapture too complex as compared to what we manually create or user the Templating plugin for Dreamwever.
HAM
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
LooseCannon
Do you think writting DTD's will be is easier then writting datacapture.cfg's?
I've done both and it's faster and easier to spec and write a datacpture.cfg then to spec out and write the DTD, generate the datacapture.cfg and then manually 'tweak' the datacapture.cfg.
I can think of two reasons for using iwdtd2sym
1)creating cleaner XML code (I think 6.x datacapture.dtd does as well).
2)generating templates programmatically
Migrateduser
Hi -
I'm just researching the possibility of using the data-type="xml" option also (after all, I've been hearing for years now that the dcrs are in xml format..). In going over the instructions in the manual, it doesn't seem obvious as to the steps necessary to make it happen. Particularly, as you mention, if you're using the Dreamweaver plugin, is there a way to take the output from work in that envrionment and pump it through the iwdtd2sym CLT to generate the necessary symbol table?
Wally Box
Nike, Inc.
Migrateduser
Thanks for the response.
Not having written DTDs, I don't know which is easier.
What I have found is that building the DCTs and PTs with the Dreamweaver extension is relatively easy (well, at least that part is easy enough.. between the templating configuration, the FormAPI javascript and it's browser compatibilty, the Visual Format Toolbar, the management of the DCRs, the integration with workflow, etc., etc.. templating in general is -way- more complex than it should be). Using the Dreamweaver extension may actually be the easiest part of the whole process.
After years of hearing that DCRs are stored in xml format and then finding out, once I started using templating, that that's only the case when you use the iwdtd2sym CLT, I'm just trying to figure out what advantages are of one over the other so that I can determine whether it's worth the time to learn another aspect of templating. To determine this, I'd like to find out:
- what are the essential differences between the iwov and xml dcr formats?
- what are some practical examples of why one would want to use one instead of the other?
- if there is a benefit from using the xml format, then if I'm using the Dreamweaver extension to create DCTs and PTs, what would be the best way to integrating that practice with the iwdtd2sym process?
I'm really not trying to solicit answers for those questions here - it's just an example of the types of questions I run into on each new aspect of templating I encounter.
Wally Box
Nike, Inc.
Adam Stoller
After years of hearing that DCRs are stored in xml format and then finding out, once I started using templating, that that's only the case when you use the iwdtd2sym CLT, I'm just trying to figure out what advantages are of one over the other so that I can determine whether it's worth the time to learn another aspect of templating. To determine this, I'd like to find out:
- what are the essential differences between the iwov and xml dcr formats?
- what are some practical examples of why one would want to use one instead of the other?
- if there is a benefit from using the xml format, then if I'm using the Dreamweaver extension to create DCTs and PTs, what would be the best way to integrating that practice with the iwdtd2sym process?
Well - you may not have been soliciting answers here - but I have a few comments, and perhaps a few answers:
DCRs
are
stored as XML - regardless of whether you use "iwov" or "xml" type DCRs.
The difference is that "iwov" style XML is very generic and follows the "iwov" DTD - in which everything is basically an
<item>
or a
<value>
- whereas "xml" style DCRs would generally use the
name
attribute of the "iwov"
item
as a tag name, and the value would generally be CDATA within that tag. e.g.:IWOV
<item name="Name">
<value>Fish</value>
</item>
would be "xml":
<Name>Fish<Name>
When would you generally want to use "xml" style DCRs? I believe in cases where you have a data-feed that is already in XML format, which you want to turn into DCRs and then be able to use your own PTs to format the content for presentation (like news feeds I believe). If the data already follows an established XML DTD - it makes sense to use that DTD for your DCRs rather then munging the data to fit the "iwov" DTD.
I can't answer to anything regarding the DreamWeaver integrations - never used them (but then again, I tend to write HTML in raw-code too, rather than using "HTML Editors"... ;-)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Thanks Fish - you're a wealth of info. As for the Dreamweaver extension, it comes in very handy - but I'm on the other end of the spectrum that thinks that html is the best reason ever for wysiwyg editors (up to a point).
nipper
>but I'm on the other end of the spectrum that thinks that html is the best reason ever for wysiwyg editors (up to a point).
Wally
I would be interested in what you think of the DW extensions. I used to demo it & it was always a compelling
demo (but then WF Builder was also a compelling demo, worthless in practice).
Is it really helpful the first time ? How about on the 15th edit of a TPL ? (or 1st edit where WFB fell apart)
ANdy
Migrateduser
Andy -
For me, it was a very easy way to jump into templating. I was already using Dreamweaver, so I didn't have a learning curve there.
I set up a Dreamweaver 'site' for each templating project, and its remote directory points to the templatedata directory of the workarea in which I'm developing. I use the version of a DW site where I keep a local copy and then ftp updates into TeamSite.
The number of edits doesn't really affect me. In fact, that's most likely the best thing about the extensions - I can make lots of small changes in a visual environment, hit a couple of keystrokes and then they're ready to test. I've probably updated my most recent DCT 50 times or more.
Also, the extension supports the relationship between the DCT and the PT very well.
Any other questions you've got about it, fell free to ask.
Wally