Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Need help on creating DCTs and PTs
Leo
Hi,
I am in the process of creating DCTs and PTs for a considerably complex HTML page (newsletter) containing text and images. The TS version is 5.5.2. How do I start going about developing the DCTs and PTs? Are there any tools/generator to achieve this? Will it be helpful if i have the final HTML page generated, so that i can use the HTML source to convert it into the required Presentation Tamplate? How do I incorporate the necessary style sheets in the PT?
Please advise.
Thanks.
Leo
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Before trying to answer your questions - can you provide a bit of background on *your* experience with doing TeamSite Templating development?
Have you created DCTs before?
Have you created PTs before?
If you haven't done either - I'd suggest (a) RTFM, (b) training, (c) hiring an experienced consultant.
If you have done either/both - the answers will help us figure out how to phrase the response.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Leo -
If you have access to the proper manuals and don't wish to spend the $$$s for training and consulting (so basically if you want to do it yourself), I would:
- read the manuals. Try the tutorials / examples.
- get the 5.5.x Templating extension / plugin for Dreamweaver MX (note: the newest version of Dreamweaver doesn't work well with the version of the plugin you need for 5.5.2 development). Install it and run through its tutorials and help. This plugin will save you lots of time in building the templates.
Wally Box
Nike, Inc.
Leo
Hi fish,
Thanks for your response. I have created DCTs and PTs before but those were just simple ones like - template having an image and a text which could be replicated. but, the one i am trying to create is a rich HTML page with text and images(an email newsletter). As I have tom achieve this in a short time, I am looking for some tips / tools that could make my work easy.
Thanks.
Leo
Leo
Thanks Wally!
I will try this option.
Leo
iwovGraduate
In addition to the suggestions you already got, you might want to look at
http://your_teamsite_server/iw/help/tst/pt/
for a list of FAQ and other documentation.
You might also want to look at a white paper on
templating strategies
Hamjam
Hi Leo
Initially what you mentioned was right, use the html output as the starting point. Usually if there is too much to be done with the html page I follow the following steps:
1. Take HTML Page Output.
2. Identify the items to be included in the Data capture form.
3. Create the datacapture.cfg
4. Substitute all the content area in the HTML Page with iwpt_dcr_value with specific item reference from data capture.cfg.
5. In case you are using any replicant or some other scripts in the page include them in the html
6. take the entire html and paste it in a template file
DCT is ready!
HAM
Leo
Thanks a lot HAM!
I will try it out.
- Leo
Adam Stoller
You've gotten a lot of decent start-off advice - let us know how it turns out and if you have more specific questions...
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Sounds like about the same project I'm working on - html email generation. A couple of issues I'm working through -
- setting up multiple VFT (Visual Format Tool) configurations for different textareas on the DCT. In some, I only want them to do image upload & in others I want to disable image upload.
- ensuring that all image file paths referenced on the generated page have absolute references.
- using our standard style sheet as input to the configuration of the VFT.
- resizing the images referenced in the generated page to the size declared in the DCT.
- attaching all images referenced in the generated page to the workflow that publishes the page.
Wally Box
Nike, Inc.