Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Replacing Visual Formatter
adam1
Has anyone tried to replace VFE with something altogether different? My manager just asked me if it possible since we have a large number of people using TeamSite who are on Macs and Linux or simply refuse to use IE altogether.
I realize that IW has decided to only support IE on the windows platform. This causes me no small amount of pain: all my designers run OSX; most of my developers run Linux; the Network/Systems department is about to forbid IE for all desktop users becuase of the serious security flaws.
Since IW refuses to allow choice for its clients, I have to create it for my users.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
please, please, please - make all this information known to IW through an official support ticket. It won't make any immediate change, but hopefully it will make a difference in the longer run.
I believe you can use other tools via cgi-callouts but not 'inline' like you can with the existing VFE -- there was a recent thread about this that contained references to at least two different tools that other folks have used in this manner -- you should be able to find it if you search through the forums carefully.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
gzevin
As I mentioned in a number of threads, yes, it's possible to create an alternative via a CGI callout. I did it in IE, the version that I have supports IE only, but there are some new versions of free tools that suppport more browsers. There also some inexpensive comercial tools as well.
there was an editor from a company in Brisbane, Australia. They even tried to deal with IWOV, as far as I understand. It runs on Java, supposedly om Macs as well.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
gzevin
Adam,
IWOV knew about the requirement for non-Windows based brwosers long ago. Done nothing, and I am just curious as to why they didi not lift a finger.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Adam Stoller
The major components of the 6.x UI work fine with non-IE browsers on both Windows and Macs - the problem is with the VFE.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
gzevin
I meant VFE component only, replying in the context of the thread. not the rest of the problems.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
adam1
Actually that's not 100% true. I've found all sorts of odd little things don't work quite right.
For instance, I can't use Firefox because the launchpad never works correctly so I use Safari.
Generally safari works OK except that I have never been able to select a file in the professional interface and then perform any action on it. Its always "you must select a file" or some such nonesense.
In the end I can do about half the useful work I need to do on a Mac.
Adam Stoller
I'm starting to find some of the java applets (launchpad, source comparison, etc.) do seem to have some quirks on the Mac - I'm filing cases with support on them as I find them.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
lj1958
Interesting discussion...we're just starting to do FormsPublisher in TeamSite 6.X and have run into thie challenge because some of our "power users" in our marketing department are on Macs.
As far as performance of non-VFE elements, Mozilla/Firefox has worked the best for us on Macs.
-Liz
Adam Stoller
Firefox has some issues with respect to when your authentication runs out. If you're already logged in and it runs out and you try to download a file - instead of prompting you to re-authenticate it downloads the login page in place of the file you're trying to download - which is rather confusing to say the least. When that happens you need to quit the browser completely and start it over again - just logging out and in through the GUI is not sufficient to fix the problem.
Mozilla does not seem to have this problem.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Evert
adam,
we ware faced with the same issue for replace VFW. for different reasons though. althought our company has IE as standard browser i am quite sure one can apply the same solution to other environments. what we've basically done is to have a complete new UI build on top of IW, using perl for the read wrie actions and Javascript for the client actions.
Our restrictions for not using the VFW was the fact that you could not limite people properly to your design guidelines. by now we have a gui which is pure wysiwyg offering the users fixed design(content elements they can put onto pages according to our business and design rules, which greatly improoved the speed our business users work at.
This gui is sort of in competition to live site, howevert without using additional TS components. the next bigger challenge is going to modularize it in a manner we can use it over all of our 800something sites using different per site business and design rules.
regards
Evert Smit
Business Project Manager
Credit Suisse Group