Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Displaying special character when previewing
ruler
Hello Gurus,
I was hoping I didnt't have to do more encoding changes now, but new problems have popped out of the TeamSite box.
We are using UTF-8 on our webpages, but the UTF-8 special charac doesn't work properly (char doesn't get displayed) for special characters like the french œ (entity: oelig). If I replace the UTF char Å“ with the decimal reference œ via Perlscript in the presentation template, it shows correctly on the Html page. The same goes for other special characters. However, I'd like to avoid adding all the specials manually, so I would be grateful if somebody can help me out with an easier way.
Here are the encodings I'm using:
1. DCT (Templating form):
< ?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
2. Presentation template:
< ?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
and:
< META content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
3. iwpt_encoding.ipl:
return "UTF-8" '; (haven't changed anything else there)
(TeamSite 5.5.2, Sp2, Solaris, Browserbased templating)
I hope somebody will give some useful advice!
thanks
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Looking at the decimal reference œ, it seems to me (it's just a guess...) that the browser is still rendering the page as if it was ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1), rather than UTF-8. The reason is 156 sounds like the right code in the Latin 1 page; UTF-8 is not compatible with Latin 1. See if explicitly forcing the browser to UTF-8 mode renders the page correctly.
Why it is displaying as if it was Latin 1 remains a mystery to me. Some browsers (like the old NetScape browsers) had problems where it would render using the "default" encoding, which was often times Latin 1. Does the HTTP headers specify a different encoding? (The <META> tag should override the header encodings, though...)
--Daniel