Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Custom Menu to CC Pro
Bjorn
The UITK man says:
"A menu’s reference and its display anchor’s label and image can be customized. Menus can
be moved or deleted. Custom menus can be created and inserted into action lists or
headings."
Anyone have experience with custom menus? Not menu ITEMS, but rather entires menus within an action list.
Basically, in CC Pro I want to create custom menus that would go alongside the OOB menus of FILE EDIT VIEW ACTIONS. I'm having a bear of a time and I don't know if it's because it's not possible or I'm being obtuse.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
I'm not 100% sure - but I think that was one of those customizations that was *not* exposed for use/manipulation by customers in the 6.1 release. You can manipulate menu items within an existing menu collection, but I don't think you can add menu collections at this time (I could be wrong though)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
abackenr
this is supported and it should be possible to add a menu to the main menu.
the xml in one of your ui_custom.xml files should be something like this:
<action-list id="iw.ccpro.filesys.menubar">
<iwov-insert-after id="iw.ccpro.action.menu">
<menu id="custom.menu">
<link ... />
<link .../>
</menu>
</iwov-insert-after>
</action-list>
staff engineer @ interwoven
Adam Stoller
Kewl - it does work in 6.1
(maybe it didn't work in 6.0 - or maybe I'm thinking of something else that wasn't made available for us to tinker with)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Adam Stoller
Is there a [good] reason why it takes so long to get menu customizations incorporated?
I've got a Sun Ultra-250 with what appears to be 768 Mb of memory (
prtconf | head
) and almost 5 Gb of diskspace available in IWHOME - and yet I see results like this:
customer_src >
make_toolkit.ipl -nojsp_precompile
Buildfile: /export1/iw-home/local/config/lib/content_center/reference/build.xml
init:
compile:
validate:
files:
[war] Building war: /export1/iw-home/local/config/lib/content_center/customer_out/customer.tk.war
update:
[exec] ***** Analyzing content_center *****
[exec] Previous install of customer toolkit: Tue May 18 15:05:54 2004
[exec] Changed files: 1
[exec] WEB-INF/conf/customer/ui_custom.xml
[exec] ***** Updating content_center *****
[exec] Updated WEB-INF/conf/customer/ui_custom.xml
[exec] Resetting Interwoven UI services... done.
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 6 minutes 29 seconds
I made a few more changes and ran it again, and this time it was
better
- but it still took
Total time: 4 minutes 1 second
Is there any way to make this faster? - that's a fairly long time for the server to be unavailable for use (which it is during this process).
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
AKB
widows 2003 server..It took my 1min and 33 seconds. But then I think it also depends on the changes that are being incorporated...I was trying the customer samples....
Bjorn
Fish - Did you try making a similar customization to the one I was suggesting? Like a custom menu? The format that abackenr used is what I have in UI_CUSTOM.XML and I'm still getting errors.
Let me know.
Bjorn
Cancel that. Forgot to include label attrib on custom menu tag in UI_CUSTOM and it was causing the errors. Thanks all.
Adam Stoller
Glad you figured out the answer to your own problem - but in answer to your question - yes, I created a new custom menu next to the OOTB ones and moved all the custom menu items I had previous added to the other ones to the new menu collection (not sure which way is best from a UI perspective, but I like the idea of having the custom stuff appear under a custom menu heading)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
gzevin
Is there any way to make this faster? - that's a fairly long time for the server to be unavailable for use (which it is during this process).
Adam, this IS fast
compared to what was there before.
and.. the 'best practice' suggests you do your customisations on a dev box, and move them across only when ready.. so the production will be unavailable for a few minutes...
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Adam Stoller
I realize it's faster than in 6.0 - but comparing two things that are slow and saynig one is faster is not really showing good value.
I *am* doing my development on a DEV server - but it is quite likely other folks will be doing development too - and 4-6 minutes is, in computer-time terms, a fairly long time - especially when compared to pre-6.x customizations that took at most a couple of seconds by running 'iwrest' (no flags) for WDP.
I'm just trying to understand why it needs to take so long to process configuration-file changes like this - espeically if I'm not doing the precompilation (I can understand it being a bit slower to render or something because it isn't precompiled, but not why it requires having the system unusable for so long)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Bjorn
I haven't experienced this length of time for any of the minor changes I've made. When I've rebuilt the webapp (using make_toolkit) and the only change has been a change to one of the XML config files (like in our example here), it's usually turned around in under 30 seconds.
Adam Stoller
Hmm - okay - maybe I'm seeing a longer delay due to my network connection to my server, but that seems questionable. Or maybe it's longer on Solaris than on Windows (you didn't say what platform you were on)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Bjorn
This is on a dev server running Win2K server.
talemyn
Dragging up an old thread for some additional help.
Fish or Bjorn . . . or anyone really
. . . any chance that you could share the code that you used to successfully create a custom menu in your ui_custom.xml file? I'm trying to do it and must be making some miniscule syntax error or something, because I can't get it to work. Just hoping that I can figure out what I'm doing by looking at someone else's code (the documentation is obviously not very useful on this particular issue.
).
Adam Stoller
How about you show us what you have - and we take a look to see if we can spot the problems ...
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
talemyn
Well the good new is that I figured out that was wrong (somehow, the "label" attribute in the menu element was changed to "description").
The bad news is that I'm having some issues with the "target" values on some of my new menu item links. I'm trying to get a link to appear in the area below that contains both sections #2 and #3 (like you can with tabs).
****
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
****
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
****
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
1) Header, Tabs, etc.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
****
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
****
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
****
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
****
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
****
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
****
|
XX
2) Branches, Workareas, etc.
XX
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
3) Content, etc.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
****
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
****
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
****
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
|
****
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
However, my results aren't very good . . .
-
"_blank"
opens up the link in a new window (as expected)
-
"_top"
opens up the link in area #3 above (but it messes up the link)
-
"_parent"
opens up the link in area #3 above (successfully)
-
"_self"
opens up the link in area #3 above (but it messes up the link)
Any insights?
Adam Stoller
I still don't understand what you're trying to do.
FIRST:
Are you trying to implement a custom menu item to show up in its own window?
Are you trying to implement a custom menu item to show up in section '3' ?
Are you trying to implement a custom menu item to show up in another section(s)?
Are you trying to implement a custom tab?
SECOND:
Show us the portion of the ui_custom.xml file that relates to this customization
THIRD (potentially):
Post (as an attachment, preferably) the code for the actual customization -- this may not be needed - it depends on the first two issues.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
talemyn
Interestingly enough, after reading through your reply, I changed what I wanted to do (and, now, no longer have my original issue). That being said, I think the issue that I was having is still a good to discussion for a "future use" type of situation
Basically, I was trying to convert some HTML-linked tabs into a items on a menu, in order to free up some clutter on the CCPro screen, but I was having trouble replicating the functionality. When the links where in the tabs, they where opening the linked page in a differnt area than when they were in the menu items (note: I understand why they act differently, but admit that I wasn't expecting it when I first started down this path).
Using the picture below, clicking a HTML-linked
tab
will either open a new window (
target="_blank"
) or change the entire area marked in blue (
target="_top"
), whereas, click a HTML-linked
menu item
either opens a new window (
target="_blank"
) or changes the area marked in the darkest blue (
target="_top"
).
Also, although I didn't test it with the tabs, with the menu links, the use of
target="_parent"
and
target="_self"
also changes the area marked in the darkest blue, but the links don't pass through correctly.
So, I guess what I was wondering a couple of things:
1) What are the valid values for the "target" attribute for menu items and tabs (and, I guess, any of the other navigation elements, as well)?
2) What area of the CCPro page should each of those possible attribute values target, for each the various navigation elements?
3) Are there any ways to target other areas of the CCPro page outside of the three that I identified earlier (i.e., a new page, the whole blue area, and the darkest blue area)?
Hopefully, that's clearer.
Adam Stoller
For Tabs - you want to use target="_top" -- I missed this in the documentation and found it out the hard way because we had a custom tab that pointed to a URL - and when we went from Content to our custom tab everything looked fine - but when we went from Workflow to our custom tab - it behaved very oddly only populating what would have been the top portion of the workflow tab.
For Custom menu items - I generally try to do all my work in my own window and leave the CCPro UI window alone -- in fact, there are some built-in functions that I wish would do the same thing (for instance, I prefer having the Local File Manager [LaunchPad] in a separate window).
I think what you're going after is definitely interesting and worth documenting (if even to the point of "don't do this because ...").
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com