I have a client who is in the initial phase of a TeamSite rollout (currently on W2K 6.0 but planning on upgrading to 6.1 in next quarter) so they are currently using one content store and supporting 4-6 separate sites in the one store. Long term they will be looking to support a number of sites, in the range of 500 to 1000, and we are evaluating what best practices there are for managing multiple content stores.
From reading the Admin Guide (and realzing that the documentation is not always the most accurate), I understand that on any one TeamSite server, the maximum number of content stores that can be active at one time is 8. My current experience level has been on projects with initial rollouts and supporting smaller sites, not large implementations, so I do not have a ton of experience yet with the multiple content store concept (I keep typing backing store and having to correct myself with the "new" name).
As I mentioned previously, we are currently on a W2K server with 2 CPUs and looking to see how we should proceed with either:
a) purchasing more CPU's for the existing box (realizing there is a finite amount of space available for adding CPUs)
b) purchasing an additional box to serve as a SAN or placeholder for the additional backing stores and attempting to map the content store on the TeamSite server even though it physically exists on another box (not sure if this is a supported or accepted practice - most documentation says content store must reside locally on TeamSite server)
c) purchasing another TeamSite server altogether
d) or any other recommendations you might have
Ideally we would like to have the option to make the most out of the existing TeamSite server we do have and support it in a sinlge location, if we need to, add servers as necessary. So I was wondering how large implementations have managed sites in the 500 to 1000 range from a TeamSite server/content store perspective.
Also what best practices exist for supporting this number of sites. Has anyone done it yet?
Any and all information is much appreciated. Thanks!
- Luke
Luke Davis
Open Technology Group, Inc.
luke.davis@med.va.gov