Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
branch structure - best practice
tsrookie
Gidday all,
We are building sites for 5 institutes.
I think the best way to go about setting up Teamsite is to provide a branch for each institute.
They will all share a common set of Templates
So I think I will build a development or admin branch in addition.
The development branch is where I will create the templates and make any ongoing changes to them before pushing them to the institute branches for use.
How can I automate the process of moving the templates to the institute branches when they are ready.
Can this be done via scripting and a custom menu item
Any help appreciated
Thank you Colin
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
SandeepMadan
you can create a bat process for this.
The batch process will copy the PT(templates) to the location automatically.
once the branch is ready provide the destination path to the Batch process which uses the xcopy command to copy the content in template root to different locations.
Sandeep
Adam Stoller
batch scripts assume a Windows environment.
The original post did NOT indicate what environment (nor the TS version information) and so assuming Windows is just as bad as assuming Unix.
Perl scripts - widely used for custom menu scripts and workflow externaltask and cgitask scripts could definitely be used for what is desired here *and* would be able to work on *either* Windows or Unix.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
legend.rptdesign
tsrookie
Thanks guys for your input,
Currently we are running TS 5.5 on Solaris our upgrade to TS 6.0 is now only days away and thats when the fun begins.
Im going to work on a Perl solution
Regards
Colin
Migrateduser
I have a module that uses a config file which indicates which templates need to be replicated to what branches. Can be called as a CMI or a CLT. Let me know if you want the code. But, don't make your branching/workarea structure more complicated than you need it to be - I like one branch per site, one workarea per branch (even IW seems to recommend something like this for some implementations). Control access to directories, not branches/workareas. Use integration branches where appropriate (where content from multiple branches needs to be merged, or when content needs to be versioned without being a candidate for staging, or when you need multiple staging environments, etc.). I mean, architect to your requirements, but don't build it just 'cause it's an option.