Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
IWDatacapture.displayMessage (message)
System
I have an onSave handler in my template that takes some time to run. I would like to display a message to the user so they know the system has not locked up and what it is doing. I would like to avoid alert/confirm so they don't have to ack. I am trying IWDatacapture.displayMessage (message) but it doesn't write my message until *after* my handler completes (not when I call displayMessage) - even if I do an IWDatacapture.redraw() right after displayMessage. How can I force my message to display, other than putting it into a DCT item or using a popup of some sort?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Lex
How about popping up a new window with a setTimeout() to a call to window.close()? Personally, I would never notice any type of status message displayed in the description field of the template. It just doesn't draw your attention.
Edit: you might be able to pop the new window and then close it in the onSaveDone event.
Darryl Luther
darryl.luther@weyerhaeuser.com
Senior Web Analyst
Weyerhaeuser
Migrateduser
The problem is that depending on client configuration it can take up to 10 seconds for a popup to pop up, and since both that popping and my onSave handler are competing for client CPU I think this would actually make things worse.
I agree, I tend not to notice UI things, but if the hourglass is there then the user would probably think to look for a message, and eventually they would understand what is happening.
I just wish documented features like this would actually work, and/or that Interwoven would actually respond to such issues.
Migrateduser
It's hard for me to tell from this post whether the documentation is unclear or is in error. Either way, please file a support case with the pertinent information so we can either correct the product or the documentation.
Thanks.
lissa