Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Link checkers
System
It's been six whole weeks since we've last collectively gone through this, so I figured I would see if anyone has any new input.
First off, I've already asked for us to be added to feature request #55001. However, we need to move forward on something much more quickly than that. So, one of two things is going to happen over the next few months. Either we're going to drop a pile of cash on a web quality management tool, and then I'm going to have to spend time coding external tasks to integrate it into workflow, or I'm going to have to spend time coding the whole quality mgmt system into workflow directly.
So, that said, if any of you are using a commercial or free link checker, which are you using, and how much of a hassle was it to wrap with an external task.
Those of you who are in the same boat as me, what sort of things would you be wanting if you had to write it yourself?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
I actually wrote one of those a long time ago (well, if 2001 is really considered to be "a long time ago") and it produced a report, of course. I doubt I have it anymore, but I remember that several or more Perl modules helped me quite a bit and I don't think it actually took that long to do.
Dave
---
Interwoven Humor Page
http://iw.simpleinternet.com
Migrateduser
I had requested similar info on this a few weeks back. My job changed drastically right after that and the link checking project quickly fell off the radar. What I was able to find out was that our IW Sales Engineer knew of an implementation that IWCS developed for another customer using a 3rd party link checker called Web Link Validator (REL Software), and he was willing to give me the externaltask code that they used to interface to it. Web Link Validator is a Windows product that costs about $500 for an enterprise license.
I also looked into another option that Rational makes, or used to make, since we use ClearCase here and probably owned the thing anyway. Turns out we didn't already own it, but the app is made by Coast Software (I don't know their relationship with Rational) and it's called Site Check, which would have cost us around $600. One of our Rational support folks was going to install it and test out an eval version and make sure we could call it from an externaltask and it would do the right thing, but he got busy and never accomplished that.
Anyway, these are two options that are relatively cheap you might want to consider. Or not.
I had decided not to go with any free software or home grown, mainly because we don't have the resources to maintain and support the thing in-house.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Looks like the REL product might do everything I need, quicker than writing it myself. I may download it and play with it.
IBM must have either merged Sitecheck into another product line or discontinued it, because I don't see it listed with the other Rational tools anymore. Of course, having been at IBM, one thing I know is that just because you can't find any reference to it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Migrateduser
And if you go with REL, there is a real world usage of it out there somewhere that is using TeamSite workflow with it. I can email you the stuff IW sent me if you like.
The Rational stuff seems to be developed by a company called COAST Software, which I believe is in Canada. The product itself is called COAST WebMaster 7. I guess you can get the info at
www.coast.com
if you get a wild hair and want to check it out.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Great! If you wouldn't mind emailing me the stuff you got from IWOV about integrating the REL product, that would be wonderful. Send it to my gmail acct:
rhuffstedtler@gmail.com
Incidentally, if there's anyone out there who wants a gmail acct and doesn't have one yet, I have a bunch of invites.
Migrateduser
You got it - it's in your mailbox. Hope you can get some use from it. If you do get it working, maybe you can send me back a better sample of code. I would appreciate that as we may pick this up again in the future.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
textOverlap.zip
Migrateduser
I too would be interested in what IWOV sent you regarding integrating with the REL software. Would you mind sending that to me as well.
Much apprciated,
Adam
Migrateduser
We're having a demo from the Watchfire folks next week. They claim to have "TeamSite integration", whatever that means. If there's anything interesting that I can pass on without getting into an NDA situation, I will.
Migrateduser
I heard that TS 6.5 may ship with a non-unsuported link checker freebie from CPAN called "checkbot". It will be located in:
<iw-home>/iw-perl/bin/checkbot
Of course please note this would be an UNSUPPORTED utility.
lissa
Migrateduser
That's not very helpful. Why isn't IW providing a
supported
link checker for its customers? Isn't that a natural tool for web content management?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
kannan_r
Hi
I need to validate my links ( few thousand pages ) Found W3C::LinkChecker does what I wanted.
however when i ask the link checker to chk my workarea its actually going to the teamsite login page and finishes . Since There are not many links from teamsite login page.
Searching thru devnet i found this post and tried checkbot , checkbot too goes to login page & finishes.
How do i make chkbot login to teamsite
currently on 6.1 solaris
Any pointers ??