Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
TS 6.1 new install
point_taken
Hello:
We are starting the process of moving from 5.5.2 to 6.1. Our initial phase will be just installing 6.1 on a new box (Win 2000) and then moving functionality pieces from the 5.5.2 box to the 6.1 box for testing. Will I have problems with moving functionality from a 5.5.2 to a new install of 6.1? or should I prepare the new box as a 5.5.2 version then upgrade to 6.1?
Thanks.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
When you say "moving functionality" - I assume you mean moving customizations like WFTs, DCTs, PTs, custom menu items, callout scripts, inline scripts, various configuration files and such - yes?
If so - then yes, you will probably run into a number of issues doing this - mostly with respect to things like CGI scripts (custom menu items, cgitask scripts, cgi-callout scripts) as there were changes made to the form environment information that's available by default.
If you utilize callouts in metadata catpure DCTs - you may be heading into some unpleasant experiences there too (I've got a case open right now to track down issues such as lack of a handle to the file being tagged, lack of a handle to all the form field names)
The way you create custom menu items is completly different, you'll want to read some documentation, watch some webcasts and read through some forum postings regarding this.
The directory regex's for templating.cfg have a more significant meaning now in 6.1 as they are the only means of limiting where category/data-types show up within the branches rather than scanning the directory structure automatically as before.
Whether starting from scratch or doing an upgrade - I'm not sure it makes too much difference. If you're eventually going to do an upgrade it probably makes sense to prepare yourself by doing an upgrade in a more controlled environment first - whether you do that now or after you've had a chance to work with a fresh 6.1 installation is up to you and the resources you have at your disposal.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
point_taken
Thanks fish,
One other thing, if we did go the route of installing 6.1 new on the box, "iwconvert" would still be the tool to move a 5.5.2 back-end store? correct. It is noted in the adminstration documentation.
Thanks.
Adam Stoller
Not sure - if you're using 5.5.2 I believe you could just take a dump of the backing store and put it in place on the 6.1 machine (while the TS server is down) and then bring up the server it should take care of the conversion parts that are necessary (it's not like 5.0x to 5.5.2)
However, for transferring the backing store over the network from a 5.5.2 machine - it's possible that the iwconvert CLT might be the way to go (don't know - haven' t had to deal with that as of yet)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
What Adam says is correct about moving a 5.5.x store to 6.x, you can do this. However, once you do this you CANNOT take the 6.x store back to a 5.5.x system. The store will have been been updated to contain 6.x information. A 5.5.x system cannot read that data.
Regards,
lissa
point_taken
When moving the 5.5.2 backing store to a new install of 6.1, should I create the NT Security Groups first?
Thanks.
Migrateduser
If you're using local user accounts rather than domain accounts, you're going to have some trouble moving from one server to another. The steps I would take are as follows:
1) create local user accounts on new server
2) move backingstore
3) install teamsite 6.1
4) setup an entity mapping file using <IW-HOME>\bin\iwidmap.exe (to map old SID's to the new SID's) (this is probably the most challenging part of the process). The best way (and least error prone) is to backup your entities and keep the backup. Also, backup your backing store and keep the backup. Then create an id mapping file (not sure where to find an example of this, but I think it came in the 5.5.x upgrade documentation). Use the mapping file to do the translation rather than doing each one by hand (unless you only have a couple of users).
If you have any questions, I may be of limitted help, since it's been a couple years since I did a backing-store move from one server to another, but that is how I would procede. Like I said, the trickiest part is going to be step 4. Remapping Id's is just messy. It makes changes to your backingstore, so you'll want to test it thoroughly (make sure all users are showing up in workflows and file permissions as expected) before getting rid of your backingstore backup.
If you're using domain users, then it should be a simple matter of pointing your new server to the correct domain.
Good luck!
- Jason