Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Copying Workflows after Instantiation
pacer11
I am not sure if this can be done, but I have had numerous requests on whether you can copy a TeamSite workflow once the Job has been created. The reasons behind this are the fact that the end users go through the process of Selecting a New Job, filling out infomation and Selecting Run Job for up to 5 workflows where the only difference between the 5 workflows are one field.
What would be Ideal is if they could fill out just one workflow and once that workflow has been started, have the option of Copying that workflow to a new workflow with a screen that will ask for something like a Job Id of the workflow they want to copy, which would then create a new workflow with the same information as the workflow with the specified Job Id. Once this happens then they would have the ability to change the information within the workflow using the Job Details Screen.
I see that you can create a new Job with the Job Specification file, but the Job Specification file is pretty static - so I am wondering how you would create a new Job on the fly using a Workflow Template File versus a Job Specification File via the command line.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
I suppose you could have a separate workflow that has, as it's instantiation screen, a prompt for a job id and a prompt for whatever information you want to change -- or perhaps just a prompt for the jobid - and then use a cgitask to retrieve information from the referenced jobid, present it to the user and then after getting the new information kick off another instance of the referenced job with the new information (using something like iwwft_compile.ipl.
I'd suggest figuring out a lot of this on paper / with diagrams first - it shouldn't really be too difficult, but it will make the implementation a lot easier if you can find and answer most if not all of the questions ahead of time.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
pacer11
Thanks for the feedback.
Before I start beating myself up because I had no clue there was a function that could instantiate a workflow based upon a wft file, and that if I had known this I probably could have implemented this request fairly easily, "WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THIS DOCUMENTED!!!!"
The only thing documented is the iwjobc and iwinvokejob.
Thanks again for your help!
Migrateduser
Unfortunately, this is not documented anywhere as you would like to. It's a perl module which allows you to invoke a new job based upon a wft file. That's how it is being done within TeamSite's workflow instantiator. Check out the iw-home\httpd\iw-bin\iwwft_instantiator.ipl for reference. One catch here is only master are allowed to do this, you would need to set your owner of the the external task to be a master user.
james1
If I understand you correctly, I think you can do this with the iwwft_compile.ipl CLT. That CLT takes an XML-formatted file containing WFT inputs and a WFT that you specify, and instantiates a new job, assuming that your provided inputs were satisfactory.
You could write a web UI that prompts for your information, including your 5 values for the one field, and then create 5 input files, and then instantiate the WFT 5 times with iwwft_compile.ipl, using each of the 5 input files once.
If you need to tie this UI into the normal job instantiation screens, then perhaps you could write a dummy workflow, put it in available_templates.cfg, have it take no inputs (so the job instantiation form won't come up), and have it only go to an immediate cgitask, which should be specified to run your UI (described above). In this case (and probably otherwise), I don't think you'd want to put your "real" WFT in available_templates.cfg, since you probably don't want to bother with writing the UI part of it, since it will never (?) be instantiated with the UI instantiator.
Hope this helps.
-- James
--
James H Koh
Interwoven Engineering