Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
TS 6.1 New Editions Question
MichaelS
H all,
We just recently migrated from TS 5.5.2 to TS 6.1. I noticed that there is a big diffrence between creating Editions in the ContentCenter Pro Interface and WebdeskPro interface which we used before. The two main differences are:
1. In the ContentCenter we are unable to create new editions from within workarea.
2. In the ContentCenter we do not get the automatic naming for a new edition, as it was the case with WebdeskPro
Does anybody know how to enable these two features in ContentCenter Pro? Because of the way we use TS, these two changes are actually drawbacks for us. The idea behind CC was to reduce number of clicks abut because of these changes the number of clicks is actually increased in our development environment.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Issue #1 can probably be done via UI customizations - adding the appropriate menu where you want it.
Issue #2 is filed as FR#:53777 - contact Support to get your organization's name associated with it.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
MichaelS
Thanks Fish,
Regarding #1. The menu is there under the "File - > New Edition" menu, but unfortunately when I am wthin a workarea this menu is "greyed out" (or disactivated if you prefer.) I read the UI Customization manual and I did not find the information there how to "activate" or "deactivate" certain existent menu items. Do you know where in the Customization Configuration files should I find this entry or which XML tag controls this? I checked the <link> tag specification but I found nothing like this there.
Basically, "New Edition" for the ContentCenter professinal is considered a Branch level action. How can I make it a workarea level action as it was the case in TS 5.5.2 or still is the case in TS 6.1 WebdeskPro interface?
Adam Stoller
I don't think it was every *really* a workarea level action - although it was certainly confusing how you could have a publish_workarea event and a publish_staging event. I believe what happened in previous releases was that the workarea would get submitted first, then the staging area would get published.
The only thing I can think of off-hand is to do the exact same thing with a custom menu item and your own CGI (in which case you can also take care of item #2 since the CLTs for doing that work even if the UI doesn't make use of them)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
abackenr
> 1. In the ContentCenter we are unable to create new editions from within workarea.
this was removed from ccpro. it's confusing, since you are not editioning the workarea, you are editioning the branch (staging). hence, it cannot be enabled within a workarea.
i don't know anything about the autonaming thing. i believe it was a server feature but i don't know.
ariel
staff engineer @ interwoven
Migrateduser
As fish noted, we have a feature request for autonaming, FR#:53777. Please
contact support to associate yourself with the request.
Autonaming as currently implemented did not offer a programmatic means for
customers to determine what the edition naming should be. Our simple scheme
did not work for all customers. If we are to offer autonaming moving forward,
we will want to provide a more flexible way of specifying what the name should
be.
For #2, as Ariel noted, this was by design. Publishing from a workarea was
considered by some a defect, as it let the user believe that the modified items
were first submitted. That is not the case. End users would publish multiple
times and be confused why there changes weren't being deployed - and so
now we are explicit that publish is a branch level op and that users explicitly
submit from WA.
I can imagine as part of the submit process we should add a checkbox requesting
whether or not the user would also like to PUBLISH an edition. I would imagine
that this would be even simply then WDPro, as the user wouldn't need to explicit
invoke two commands but instead just go through the submission process.
Adam Stoller
... of course if you do the submit - you already are creating an edition - it's just an "unnamed" edition (#nnnn) - it should also be trivial to add publishing functionality to any submit workflow. You could prompt for the name up-front or just indicate you want one and use the iwnexted CLT just before publishing to get the new name.
The prospect of having more control over the auto-naming is nice - I'd be interested in hearing more about that as I can think of cases where one wants several different edition naming series (e.g. a nightly series, a weekly series, a monthly series) and it would be nice to be able to specify a 'series' to use; probably have a config file where you can specify formatting patterns for the edition names (e.g. something like strftime / sprintf style formatting with a directive for sequential number too)... maybe something like:
<editions>
<series name="nightly" pattern="%yyyy-%mm-%dd_nightly.%seq"/>
<series name="weekly" pattern="%yyyy-%mm_weekly.%seq"/>
<series name="monthly" pattern="%yyyy-%mm.%seq"/>
</editons>
and then something like:
iwpublish -g -series weekly
branch_vpath
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com