FIND function behaves strange in report design XML

Carl Armbruster
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
<p>I am using Eclipse Luna - Birt 4.4.0<br><br>
Steps to reproduce:</p>
<ol><li>Open report design file (or report library file)</li>
<li>Click the XML Source tab</li>
<li>Click ctrl-f to bring up find dialog</li>
<li>Search for "</report>" (or anything that gets you far enough down so the window has to scroll down)</li>
<li>Click in the XML Source window</li>
</ol><p>Expected Results</p>
<ol><li>You should see the searched item (</report> in my example)</li>
</ol><p>Actual Result</p>
<ol><li>Window scrolls to the top (line #1) and your search result is lost</li>
</ol><p>This is the same issue reported here: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/737207/'>https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/737207/</a></p&gt;
<p> </p>
<p>I did post a workaround on that thread:<br><br>
"<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(244,244,244);">One thing I noticed is that if you search on something and find a result . . . and see the result highlighted . . . if you hit escape on the search dialog (to close it) and click in the XML window, the searched item will be focused and in view, otherwise the file scrolls to the top as you describe. This helps but is a real pain in the rear when you need to search multiple instances of the same thing and review surrounding code.</span>"</p>
<p> </p>
<p>
I have an XML data source that I use for testing and when I search that XML file it works as expected so it does not appear to be an issue with Eclipse searching XML files but rather an issue searching rptdesign files and rptlibrary files.<br><br>
I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed this odd behavior - is there just a simple setting I am missing? Hey Carl, just check the "Don't jump to the top of the file when searching" box! :P  <br>
 </p>
<p> </p>

Comments