Analytics Designer install issues

CodeRookie
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
<p>Hi, all!  I'm in the process of trying to install the Analytics Designer, and am having issues with the program actually running.  I am currently using BIRT Designer Professional v11.0.3 for our report designs, but wanted to get this new version to try.  The installation goes without a hitch, but as soon as I try to fire the program up, it crashes within 20 seconds.  I don't get any specific error, just that the program has stopped responding.  Earlier, I installed iHub F-Type, and it runs without a hitch.  </p>
<p>Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!  Have a great day!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Scott</p>

Comments

• <p>I might add that my coworker downloaded it as well and has absolutely no issues with it running.</p>
  • <p>Are you getting any error messages when it crashes? </p>
    <p>Were there any errors during installation?</p>
    <p>Where did you install it to? If it is in Program Files, are you running as administrator?</p>
    <p>Do you see any errors in the designers log file? (located in the .metadata directory of the designers workspace and named .log)</p>
    <p>Do you see any relevant entries in the Windows Event Viewer logs?</p>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JFreeman" data-cid="137019" data-time="1434049193">
    <div>
    <p>Are you getting any error messages when it crashes? </p>
    <p>Were there any errors during installation?</p>
    <p>Where did you install it to? If it is in Program Files, are you running as administrator?</p>
    <p>Do you see any errors in the designers log file? (located in the .metadata directory of the designers workspace and named .log)</p>
    <p>Do you see any relevant entries in the Windows Event Viewer logs?</p>
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    <p>No error messages when it crashes, just get the 'Not Responding' pop-up.</p>
    <p>None</p>
    <p>It is in Program Files, but not running as Administrator (should I be?)</p>
    <p>There are Java-related issues in the .log file.  I uninstalled Java, then downloaded the latest version....no dice.</p>
    <p>All it is showing is an 'Application Hang' warning.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Thanks,</p>
    <p>Scott</p>
  • <p>Try running it as Administrator and see if that makes a difference.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>There are Windows permission restrictions on the Program Files sub directories that are not present in other directories you create such as "C:/BDPro/" that could be causing issues.</p>
  • <p>Unfortunately, it didn't.  I'm going to install it on my desktop in the morning and see if it works there.  For some reason, my laptop can be very finicky on what it will let run without having to jump through hoops.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Have a great night!</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Scott</p>
  • <p>Alright, let us know if you have more issues.</p>
  • <p>Good morning, all!  Well, I tried to install on my desktop this morning, and unfortunately, I get the same result.  Designer will start, then quit responding almost immediately.  I am attaching the designer log file, and a copy of the Windows Event Viewer log as well.  I'm at a loss as to what is going on, so if anyone has an inkling as to where to focus my attention to, I'd be greatly appreciative.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Have a great day!</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Scott</p>
  • <p>Sorry to hear you are still having issues.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>To confirm, the contents of java.txt is from your designers .log file located in the .metadata of your workspace and is the only log and full contents of that log?</p>
    <p>Just want to make sure there isn't anything additional getting logged.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Also, it looks like you are outside of Program Files so I do not believe running as Administrator should be necessary. However, just to try it could you run as Administrator and see if it makes a difference?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Could you also launch eclipsec.exe instead of just eclipse.exe and see if anything additional is logged to the console with eclipse?</p>
  • <p>I think I may have found the issue..... When I run the eclipsec.exe, it still fails in the same manner, but if I look at all the text in the command window, it appears that I may be missing an authorization key.  I'm attaching a Snag-It shot of the text.  </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Scott</p>
  • <p>A thought just occurred to me, are you pointing this new installation to your existing 11SP3 designers workspace or are you creating a brand new empty workspace for the new designer?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Also, what version of Windows are you using?</p>
  • <p>I'm creating a new, empty workspace.  </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Windows 7 Pro SP1</p>
  • <p>Hmm this is rather strange.</p>
    <p>Can you try starting it from the cmd line with -clean? (For Example: eclipsec.exe -clean)</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Regarding the OAuth shindig error, I get the exact same message during startup in my instance however, I have no issues. I'm guessing that message is a red herring.</p>
  • <p>I wanted to jump in and just confirm that you are downloading the 64bit Windows version of the Analytics Designer located here (See screenshot):  <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.actuate.com/resources/product-downloads/'>http://www.actuate.com/resources/product-downloads/</a></p&gt;
    <p>And that your installer size is:  677,067,680 bytes</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Also when installing the designer, please confirm you are right clicking on the installer file and selecting "Run as administrator".</p>
    <p>Then please try installing the designer to:  C:\Actuate\BDPro31</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>After installation, please navigate to "C:\Actuate\BDPro31\eclipse\" and launch the "eclipsec.exe" file directly.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Let us know if the designer crashes before or after selecting a workspace location.</p>
    <p>If after, try inputing a new workspace location such as "C:\Actuate\workspace" to see if the designer will launch without errors.</p>
  • JFreeman
    edited June 12, 2015 #15
    <p>Thanks for the input Matthew.</p>
    <p>Those are good suggestions.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Hopefully these will help get to the bottom of this issue.</p>
  • <p>Good morning, all!  Sorry I haven't responded lately, I was on vacation Mon / Tues.  Matthew, I did download the 64 bit version and will try the install method as you describe.  I'll get back to the forum in a bit with results.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Have a great day!</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Scott</p>
  • <p>Matthew, I followed your instructions, and the program will still lock-up after I select the 'workspace' location.  I tried both locations for the folder, with the same results.  I am attaching a screen-grab of the command window to see if it sheds any light on the subject.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Thanks,</p>
    <p>Scott</p>
  • <p>Some additional questions:</p>
    <p>What is the installer size of the file you downloaded (right click -> properties)?</p>
    <p>How much RAM does your system have?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Also you indicated the designer locks up instead of crashes?</p>
    <p>Do you have a virus scanner that has on demand/live scanning?</p>
    <p>How long does the designer lock up?</p>
    <p>Does it ever crash?</p>
  • <p>The installer is <span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">677,067,680 bytes.</span></p>
    <p><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">8GB of RAM installed</span></p>
    <p> </p>
    <p><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">Yes, the designer locks up (not responding) after the workspace file path has been chosen.</span></p>
    <p><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">Yes, we use Sophos.</span></p>
    <p><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">At this moment, it has been 12 minutes (10:34 ~ 10:46) that it has been locked up / not responding.</span></p>
    <p><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">I haven't seen it 'crash' yet, as I get frustrated with it, and just close the application.  I'll just let it run this time and see if it actually blows up.</span></p>
  • <p>Looking at the default options for Sophos: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/119637.aspx'>https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/119637.aspx</a></p&gt;
    <p>It looks like it has real-time scanning turned on.</p>
    <p>As there are hundreds of files read/written to when loading the designer, my assumption is that the scanner is having to approve each file read/write as the designer loads, which could be causing the designer to hang while waiting for the requested files to be scanned.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Is it possible to temporarily disable the virus scanner (or at least the real-time function) to see if the designer will load quicker?</p>
  • <p>I'd rather not mess with any of the Sophos settings (I don't have the rights to, anyway).  That being said, my coworker installed the Designer, and has absolutely no issue with it loading / running.  We both have the same basic settings on our laptops (OS, RAM, etc.) as well as both of us having ACTUATE BIRT Designer Professional v11.0.3 installed.....</p>
  • <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CodeRookie" data-cid="137183" data-time="1434552473">
    <div>
    <p>The installer is <span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">677,067,680 bytes.</span></p>
    <p><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">8GB of RAM installed</span></p>
    <p> </p>
    <p><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">Yes, the designer locks up (not responding) after the workspace file path has been chosen.</span></p>
    <p><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">Yes, we use Sophos.</span></p>
    <p><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">At this moment, it has been 12 minutes (10:34 ~ 10:46) that it has been locked up / not responding.</span></p>
    <p><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif;">I haven't seen it 'crash' yet, as I get frustrated with it, and just close the application.  I'll just let it run this time and see if it actually blows up.</span></p>
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    <p>12:19 and it still says 'Not responding', but no all out crash.....</p>
  • <p>Is it possible to work with your Systems Administrator to inspect Sophos and see if it is logging out anything about the designer?</p>
    <p>At the same time, could the Systems Administrator temporarily disable Sophos on your station and then run the designer to see if it locks up? After the test, Sophos can be turned back on.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>It seems like there is a good chance Sophos could be the issue and those tests would either prove or eliminate Sophos as being a contributing factor to the issue.</p>
  • CodeRookie
    edited June 18, 2015 #24
    <p>I'm almost 100% positive it's not Sophos, as my coworker has the exact same software structure on his laptop as I do, and he had absolutely no issue with install / execution.  But, I'm to the point now where I'll try anything.  We're moving from iServer to iHub in the future, and want to get the newest designer version to test our existing reports in (I've already installed iHub F-Type and it runs with no issues).</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>** As an update, I'm starting a new desktop with a fresh install of Windows Pro SP1 and trying on that one to see if it works.  **</p>
  • <p>Update:  Yesterday I blew everything off my backup desktop and did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro SP1.  I then installed BIRT Designer 4.4.0 with nothing else (i.e. Sophos).  It ran fine, albeit a bit erratic (sometimes it would freeze for a moment then be OK).  This morning I have 137 Windows updates waiting for me (of course).  After getting the updates done, and upping my RAM from 4 to 8GB, I fired the system up, proceeded to run Designer and immediately get the dreaded 'Not Responding' as soon as I try to click on anything.  So, back to square one.......</p>
  • <p>That seems like very strange behavior related to either a Windows update or perhaps even sector failure in the Hard Drive?</p>
    <p>Please continue to provide updates on your investigation.</p>
  • <p>So, here is what's happening..... I install, run it the first time (don't really do anything other than create a blank report), shut it down.  Now, when I go to start it up the next time, it opens no problem, but as soon as I go to click on anything, it freezes.  I guess what makes this so frustrating is that my coworker can get it to work every time, and yet mine doesn't.  Basically, I've been labeled 'BIRT Breaker'......LOL!!!</p>
  • <p>Can you attach or send me the most recent .log files from the designers workspace and the Windows Event Viewer logs?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Maybe we can find something in the most recent log entries.</p>
  • <p>Here's the info you requested:</p>
  • <p>Are you trying to do anything with information objects after you install the designer?</p>
  • <p>Just like Jesse asked, are you doing anything with IOB's?</p>
    <p>Is your Perspective set to "IO Design" or "Report Design" (Window -> Open Perspective -> Report Design)?</p>
    <p>Are you creating a new "BIRT Project" (Actuate BIRT -> BIRT Project) or a new IO Project (Information Objects -> BIRT Project)?</p>
    <p>Are you creating an .rptdesign file in your test or other file type?</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Another suggestion is to copy your co-workers /eclipse folder to your system (do not copy over your existing install) and run the eclipsec.exe file directly from that folder.</p>
    <p>I would suggest copying the folder to your local "C:\Actuate\Working\" location.</p>
    <p>Then let us know if the copied version of the designer runs find on your machine.</p>