change a_storage_type without moving content from filestore

bilak
edited March 18, 2014 in Documentum #1

Hello,

I want to separate files in documentum by years,

Imagine that for year 2014 I create filestore fs_2014, for year 2015 fs_2015 and so on...

Now when I create my custom_type and set it default storage to fs_2014 all documents will be stored here. But in year 2015, I want to save all documents to fs_2015 so I will change custom_type default storage to fs_2015.

It's ok for new documents.

But when I want to append some content to documents which were created in 2014, all that data will go to fs_2014 not to fs_2015.

When I change a_storage_type on fs_2014 documents to fs_2015 - all data will migrate to fs_2015.

So my question is how to achieve this and have content separate in filestores for one sysobject?

I know, that when I change a_storage_type only through database all works ok for me, but I don't know till when

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• PanfilovAB
    edited March 18, 2014 #2

But when I want to append some content to documents which were created in 2014, all that data will go to fs_2014 not to fs_2015.

This could be achieved through Storage assignment policies, smth. like:

19-03-2014 3-53-09 AM.png

When I change a_storage_type on fs_2014 documents to fs_2015 - all data will migrate to fs_2015.

That point is wrong because a_storage_type is just informational attribute, not controlling, though it's possible to implement what you want through TBO.

• bilak
    edited March 18, 2014 #3

That point is wrong because a_storage_type is just informational attribute, not controlling, though it's possible to implement what you want through TBO.

I tested this yesterday on CS7.1 with dql: update my_type object set a_storage_type = 'new_storage' where a_storage_type = 'old_storage'

and it moved all content added to my object from old to new storage...

And another point...try to create custom type extended from dm_sysobject (fe my_type). Then through DFC api create new object and append some files to it

myObj.setContentType("pdf");
    myObj.appendFile("c:/test.pdf");
    myObj.save();

then through DB change a_content_storage to another storage which you created before and try to execute code above, but don't create new object, just use that created. You will see, that all files are created in new filestore.

Our problem is that we have storages with max size of 16TB what is something like size of one year documents production. So we want to separate filestores.

As I can see in DA user guide, assignment policy needs another licence. Is it right? Do you know how much is it?

• PanfilovAB
    edited March 18, 2014 #4

I tested this yesterday on CS7.1 with dql: update my_type object set a_storage_type = 'new_storage' where a_storage_type = 'old_storage'
    and it moved all content added to my object from old to new storage...

Hm, did not know about such a feature, thx.

assignment policy needs another licence. Is it right? Do you know how much is it?

Have no idea, I only know how activate it:

retrieve,c,dm_docbase_config
    set,c,l,r_storage_mode
    save,c,l