Pros & Cons of Multiple Docbases in Content Server

DctmDvlpr
DctmDvlpr Member
edited August 15, 2016 in Documentum #1

We have 2 different business requesting to store content in Documentum with their own object model. I want to know the pros and cons of the 2 options given below

Option 1: One Content Server and 1 docbase. Have both business object models in 1 docbase and manage content with a security model.

Option 2: One Content Server with 2 docbases, One docbase for each business object model

Comments

• rouset
    rouset E Member
    edited August 15, 2016 #2

Slide1.JPG.jpgSlide2.JPG.jpgSlide3.JPG.jpgSlide4.JPG.jpgSlide5.JPG.jpgSlide6.JPG.jpg

Here's some thoughts I put together last year. This set of images isn't inclusive of the management by security question since that requires some thought about how the two organizations might manage the security in the absence of the repository. That is, are the organizations "opt in" organizations? That is, does a group of users often change the security on documents in a very fluid fashion? As an administrator do you want to be responsible for those changes? Or do the organizations manage the security in a group membership fashion and can you rely on the changes in group membership to reflect the security changes?

One point I will make: Experience teaches us that developers will not often test security as "normal" users. Insure that testing as "normal" users is part of your test plan and acceptance criteria.

• DCTM_Guru
    DCTM_Guru Member
    edited August 15, 2016 #3

Here are my thoughts:

Too small for our britches – when is it time to create another repository | Ask Johnny! - Documentum Guru

Assuming two different object model is serving two different applications, another thing to consider is the upgrade dependencies.  We are seeing a lot more of this as customers upgrade to latest version of Documentum.  Some of the upgrades require coding changes at the application level.  If you have two different repositories, you could upgrade the repositories, but keep the UI upgrades indepenent.  If you have one repository (and two applications), then you are forced to upgrade both applications at the same time.

• PanfilovAB
    PanfilovAB Member
    edited August 15, 2016 #4

wow, great job!