How to display the start date and end date of previous weeks on date prompts by default.

Sai krishna
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1

Hello,

Good evening!
Could you please tell me how to display the start date and end date of previous weeks on date prompts by default. I am trying to fix this but still its failing. Thanks in advance.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb

Comments

• jfranken
    edited March 26, 2019 #2

The code below gets the first and last day of the previous week:

First day:
    BirtDateTime.firstDayOfWeek(BirtDateTime.addWeek(BirtDateTime.today(), -1))

Last day:
    BirtDateTime.addDay(BirtDateTime.firstDayOfWeek(BirtDateTime.addWeek(BirtDateTime.today(), -1)), 6)

Make sure the expression type for the default parameter value field is set to "fx" (JavaScript).

• Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the logic. It was working good. But I am unable to understand the logic in First day and last day. Could you please explain briefly. Thanks in advance.

• The outer method call, BirtDateTime.firstDayOfWeek(date), returns the date for the Sunday immediately preceding the date passed in as the argument to the method. So if you give the method a date for a Monday, it will subtract one day and return that date. For a Tuesday, it will subtract two days, etc. If the date argument corresponds to a Sunday, the firstDayOfWeek method just returns that same date.

In the formula for the first day, the date argument is another method, BirtDateTime.addWeek(date). It also takes a date argument. It shifts the date by adding or subtracting a specified number of weeks. In this case, the arguments are BirtDateTime.today() and -1. That means the current date is being shifted -1 weeks, or going backwards one week.

To summarize: start with the current date, go back one week, and return the date of the first day (Sunday) of that week.

I checked and did not see a lastDayofWeek method. So to get the last day of the week, I used the same formula and added 6 days to return the date for the following Saturday.

• That was so clear....Thanks Jeff!!