Data Driven Content

Hi, Sorry for the blanket question but I need a quick answer that I cant seem to find anything definitive for. Can Team Site pages be data driven? What I mean by that is if we place a file somewhere with a list of products, can team site just suck that in, apply some styling and display them with the result being that when the spreadsheet / file or whatever it is changes (product added or removed) it automatically updates the pages?

Comments

• Thank you for contributing to the OpenText discussion forums, @MPJ. Your question is for a product that can better be answered in the TeamSite, LiveSite and OpenDeploy category

Please note that the General forum where you originally posted your question is only for non-product questions. As such, product questions posted outside the appropriate forums are less likely to receive responses. Please continue your conversation in the product forum to which your post was moved.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Note to Experts: Post MOVED from General

Please note that this post was found in the General forum. The General Forum is only for non-product questions. As such, product questions posted outside the appropriate forums are less likely to receive responses. Please continue the conversation in this product forum to which your post was moved.

Naeem
    Forum Admin
    OpenText

• Thanks Naeem, sorry was my first post

• Certainly, all pages are data driven (I read using dynamic data). That can be from pretty much any external source, but commonly LSCS and RDBMS are most often used.

What are the use cases you have ?

• Thanks for your reply Andy. its fairly basic in that we want to display the current waiting time for responses to calls on our website. This would be updated backend maybe every couple of hours (either in a spreadsheet / file or DB) and then that would automatically update on the web facing site? I'm being told by our developers that this is currently a big task that requires the page to be manually updated each time by a developer and It just wasnt my understanding

• This all depends on your setup. Anyone who flatly states it cannot be done is incompetent.

It would be very easy to set up a page using JS/AJAX to read a value from a different file (XML or JSON most likely - spreadsheet would be more difficult). You can also potentially put the data in LSCS or a RDBMS and query it. The approach would depend on how your pages are set up, your runtime environment, etc. There are 10 different ways to implement this, it all depends on what tools you use. If you run LSDS using SItePublisher or eStudio, the sample implementation includes an Ajax example.

@MPJ said:
    Thanks for your reply Andy. its fairly basic in that we want to display the current waiting time for responses to calls on our website. This would be updated backend maybe every couple of hours (either in a spreadsheet / file or DB) and then that would automatically update on the web facing site? I'm being told by our developers that this is currently a big task that requires the page to be manually updated each time by a developer and It just wasnt my understanding

• Thanks Andy thats really useful

• I would suggest making it a little more complex. Write a service running in the DMZ that monitors the logs (or whatever you use to determine response calls) and have it automatically determine the information you want to display. Then this can be served in a REST query, or saved to a file and read from AJAX.

TeamSite Developer Resources

• Docker Automation

• LiveSite Content Services (LSCS) REST API

• Single Page Application (SPA) Modules

• TeamSite Add-ons

If you are interested in gaining full access to the content, you can register for a My Support account here.
OpenText CE Products
TeamSite
APIs