Version 9.3.0.1 - Max pool size reached.

After upgrading from 9.1 to Version 9.3.0.1.  The web front end stops working and all clients get the error message displayed below to them when they try to click on anything.

Error Message: Exception 'Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool.  This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.' occurred when attempting to 'esp_get_custom_lists'.

Has anybody perhaps experienced this issue or something similar?

I have since set up a new Web Extensions server to split the load.  And am currently monitoring.

Tagged:

Comments

• Further investigations points more to SQL database connection pooling and timeout.

I have to speculate at this point that something funny may be going on with how the engine manages connections.

I have many Business Objects, and only one connection.  I will try creating many connections and spread them over the business objects, no idea if it will have any effect though.

• Release notes 9.3.0.2

• When using Custom Lists, the Process Engine memory usage gradually increases until the Engine stops. (Issues# 1771374, BPM-5741) (i)

:smileyhappy:

• Unfortunately the update patch drastically changes the behaviour of the form elements and we could not implement, did not have a chance to test if it actually resolves the Sql issues.

:smileysad:

• I have not implemented 9.3 yet as we were going live with new solutions and did not want to mix in a move from 9.2 to 9.3 in the mix.

What do you mean by "the update patch drastically changes the behavior of the form elements"?  What kinds of things were changed?  (Presuming you are referring to "stock" for elements and not custom ones.)

• I'd like to know what has changed too. It appears the same to me apart from the look of the alert lists.

We have implemented 9.3.0.1 at one site, and had no serious issues, although we have found a few faults introduced that we can work around. This is on Oracle, however, and the issue described here apperas to be related to SQL Server.

• In terms of our forms, we have panels, rules and dependant fields which were affected.

Fields on panels were inaccessible when rendered.  Rules were changed to vertical lines and dependant fields lost dependancy.  The cancel button also did not function.

I plan on giving the upgrade another go and if the forms still behave strangely, I will rebuild them.  The speed and smoothness of 9.3 is better than 9.2.  I am also eager to see if 9.3.0.2 resolved the database connection pooling issue.

• We had this issue recently with a web service connection.  The web service worked just like a regular database call, nothing special or complex.  However it got called a lot.  And during heavy processing times, we would see similar errors - and quite a bit of open connections on sql server and really it seemed the only fix was to restart our app pool.  There were up to it seemed like 120 connections and once we did this the connections reset back to like 15.

So after some research we went to the basics and made sure any of our code that had a connection.open statement was properly closed with using statements.

Also while investigating we noticed that you can set a Max Pool Size within your connection string. Not setting this defaults to 100, which I had no idea something we could change.

string srConnectionString = "server=localhost;database=mydb;uid=sa;pwd=mypw;Max Pool Size=200;";

Although in our case we build the string within the web service call - it doesn't look like you can do this in the designer, but it looks you can adjust this in your admin site.  We are still monitoring this, so I can't promise that is a fix...

• Fadil wrote:

In terms of our forms, we have panels, rules and dependant fields which were affected.

Fields on panels were inaccessible when rendered.  Rules were changed to vertical lines and dependant fields lost dependancy.  The cancel button also did not function.

I plan on giving the upgrade another go and if the forms still behave strangely, I will rebuild them.  The speed and smoothness of 9.3 is better than 9.2.  I am also eager to see if 9.3.0.2 resolved the database connection pooling issue.

Hello Fadil,

I'm getting the same error in 9.3.0.1  

Error Message: Exception 'Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool.  This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.' occurred when attempting to 'esp_get_custom_lists'.

Have you managed to solve this issue?  

I have yet to try Mike T's suggestion, but since it says "...when attempting to 'esp_get_custom_lists', I think it has to do with the Metastorm Default database.  By the way, we don't have any custom lists...

• Hello Fadil, thank you for your time. To workaround this issue, you can add Pooling=false at the end of connection string in Metastorm registry for connection and DotNetConnection both.
    So the connection string would look like following.
    For Connection:
    Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=test2;Initial Catalog=Metastorm;User ID=;Password=;Trusted_Connection=Yes;Pooling=false;
    For DotNetConnection:
    Data Source=test2;Initial Catalog=Metastorm;Integrated Security=SSPI;Pooling=false;

Once you have made aboves changes, please restart Metastorm Process Engine service.

• Hi, a patch for this issue can be downloaded from the KC for MBPM 9.3.0.1 via : http://mimage.opentext.com/support/ecm/secure/patches/oneoffs/bps/bpm/mbpm/releasecandidate.eccn-5027.metastorm.engine.connectors.zip

This patch was also included in MBPM 9.3.1.2 and 9.3.2