Parameter Data Types keep changing

Eric Davis
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1

Is there a way to keep the parameter datatypes from changing? I have one set to Integer, but it will periodically change to decimal or string for no reason.

Comments

• Do you have an example of this? As far as I know, it shouldn't let the user input a non-integer value.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • Right, but my issue is the Data Type drop down (see attached image) I have it set to Integer, but it will automatically change to decimal, string, etc. I also have some parameters defined as Dates, and they will also automatically change to string.

• That's very strange. Are you on open source or our professional designer? What's your build number if you go to Help > About?
    What's the general steps you take to see the issue. Will it be after closing the dialog then opening it up again, or after closing the report/designer and opening it?

• I'm on your professional designer (but it's quite old) Actuate BIRT Designer Professional Version: 3.7.2 Build id: 20130129.

It seems to happen when I make a change to a query that's using the parameter. When I click OK, the value changes.

• Could it be happening when you're modifying the parameter definition in the data set?

When you set a parameter, it asks if you want to update the parameter to reflect the settings in the data set. If you told it to remember your decision, it could be that it's automatically doing so.

• Yes, it changes the value there too. However, I don't get that popup.

• The only time I can get the parameter to change like this, is if I create a new parameter in the data set (or modify the data type of an existing one) and then select it to link to the parameter. It then automatically changes the parameter data type.

If that's not what you're doing, could you provide as much detail as possible on the set of steps you take to replicate? If you could provide the report you're working with, that would help as well.

• When you set a parameter, it asks if you want to update the parameter to reflect the settings in the data set. If you told it to remember your decision, it could be that it's automatically doing so.

You may be on to something here. Is there a way for me to clear my settings so I can get this box to pop up again? I'd rather not reset my entire workspace if I don't have to.

• It's working now. I did a reinstall and it's working as expected.