Documentum Javascript API

Hello,

I've noticed that the WebTop works entirely in the browser, and therefore it seems that there exists some javascript code that interfaces with the repository that one connects to at the start of the session.

I'm wondering if it is possible to take this functionality and integrate simple parts of it into a web page, e.g. checking a file in or out, downloading a file, getting a list of files in a cabinet, and so on. I know that this is supposed to be possible with AJAX but as far as I can tell, this requires implementing a custom servlet in Java -- but it seems excessive to program and maintain a specific service just as middleware between Documentum and the web application.

Does anyone know if there is some documentation on how to use the javascript code to directly interface with Documentum, even possibly via some hidden-behind-the-scenes WebTop communication?

Comments

• I don't understand what you mean by "WebTop works entirely in the browser". WebTop is build using the WDK framework, which is a JSP based framework, meaning that there is Java code executing in the Application Server that interacts with the Documentum Content Server. As far as I know (I could be wrong), Webtop has no JavaScript to interact directly with the Content Server, and Documentum doesn't have an official JavaScript library to interact with the Content Server directly.

Pedro Maia
    Senior Consultant
    OpenText

• Are you asking about specifically file transfer with respect to java applet or building a new web app entirely? If its the former, I believe with webtop 8.x, there is a non-java version for content transfer. If you want to build an entirely new web app, you can use Documentum REST services to interface with Content Server.