SOLR Requires username/password for TeamSite Connector - Why?

Now that I have SOLR running, I attempted to index my backing store, only to discover that I need to create a TeamSite Connector for SOLR first. The instructions for this are pretty much embedded in the Help feature for the Connector - they should also be in the Product Docs, but that's a whole other rant.

I'm curious why we need a username/password for the Connector. I didn't need a specific account username/password during the installation of either SOLR or ZooKeeper. What exactly is the thing authenticating against?

It's very difficult for me at my company to get a password for a generic account. This will be really tough to get past my Security team. Especially since I cannot tell them why it's being requested other than "it's prompting me for it", which is not really a great reason.

Also it doesn't say that this account needs to be the same one SOLR is running as - that would be a pretty important piece of information if it does need to be the same account.

Comments

• Username & password are only optional and are required only when SolrCloud is setup for secure authentication.

• Oh. Well that's good news. It would be nice if they made that part clearer. The Help Text seems to imply I need to load that security.json file, which requires the authentication as well. Thank you for the info - do you work for OpenText or are you another customer?

• David Smith
    edited March 11, 2019 #4

I already created the connector from TeamSite using my own username/password, just so I could get the thing to validate, because I thought I needed it to validate. Is that going to mess me up? Can I somehow remove that connector and create a new one without my username in it? I don't want to permanently use my own username because I have to change my password every 3 months...

I also applied the security.json file into ZooKeeper (bin/solr zk cp file:security.json zk:/security.json -z localhost:2181) and I need to try and un-do that. Is it possible to remove the security.json file from ZooKeeper once it's there?

• I think I was able to figure out how to remove the credentials - basically un-doing what I did so that it doesn't require authentication anymore. After a Google search, it looks like editing the security.json file to just make it an empty json ({}), and then recopying it to ZooKeeper did the trick. Then I edited the Connector in TS by clearing out the entries in the username/password fields and ckicked Vaidate and then it validated successfully. Now I will try to Index my backing store and hopefully it will work.

TeamSite Developer Resources

• Docker Automation

• LiveSite Content Services (LSCS) REST API

• Single Page Application (SPA) Modules

• TeamSite Add-ons

If you are interested in gaining full access to the content, you can register for a My Support account here.
OpenText CE Products
TeamSite
APIs