I am able to auto-refresh for 10 sec but its working for 10 minutes. How to auto-refresh for 10 min?

Sai krishna
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1

Hello,

I am facing an issue in auto-refresh. I am able to refresh automatically for 10 seconds but I am unable to refresh for 10 minutes. Could any please help me to auto-refresh for 10 minutes. Please find my logic attached below for your review.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb

Comments

• @Sai Krishna said:
    Hello,

I am facing an issue in auto-refresh. I am able to refresh automatically for 10 seconds but I am unable to refresh for 10 minutes. Could any please help me to auto-refresh for 10 minutes. Please find my logic attached below for your review.

Forgot to say that I am using report parameters to the report.

• jfranken
    edited May 15, 2019 #3

This question is outside of my scope, but I'll give it a try.

<script>
    function reloadPage(){
        return function(){
            // insert code to create targetURL here

window.location.replace(targetURL);
           // inside a frame use:  parent.location.replace(targetURL)
        }
    }
    setTimeout(reloadPage(), 600*1000);
    </script>

• Hello Jeff,

I have tried it and it was refreshing the page for every 10 minutes. But the issue is after the refresh I am getting the same data. When I have rerun the report and then I am able to find the updated columns in the table. I believe it was not re-executing the sql query. Could you please help me how to auto-execute the sql query for every 10 minutes.

• @Sai Krishna said:
    Hello Jeff,

I have tried it and it was refreshing the page for every 10 minutes. But the issue is after the refresh I am getting the same data. When I have rerun the report and then I am able to find the updated columns in the table. I believe it was not re-executing the sql query. Could you please help me how to auto-execute the sql query for every 10 minutes.

I have also tried using postgres database. When I have changed the data in postgres table, the data is updating after the auto-refresh in Opensource.
    But when I have tried this in Commercial tool, it was updating data only after re-running the report. Could you please suggest me how to make this happen in commercial tool as well.

• In the report running on commercial BIRT, select the data set. Go to Advanced properties for the data set. There's a property called "Needs cache for data-engine". It defaults to "true: Inherited". Try changing it from true to false.

Setting the property to false prevents the data set from caching data. The setting defaults to "true" in Open Source, but I know there was a bug related to the property in some versions, so maybe it is functioning differently between the versions. Note: Changing the setting to "false" can affect performance.

It changing the property doesn't fix the issue, try manually entering the reprort URL in your browser. Does the report retrieve the latest data? Does clearing the browser cache make a difference?

• Hello Jeff,

I have changed the setting to False as suggested and also entered the report URL manually in browser but still it was showing the same data even after changing the data in database. When I rerun the report then only I am able to view the data change. Could you please suggest me any other idea. Thanks in advance.

• @Sai Krishna said:
    Hello Jeff,

I have changed the setting to False as suggested and also entered the report URL manually in browser but still it was showing the same data even after changing the data in database. When I rerun the report then only I am able to view the data change. Could you please suggest me any other idea. Thanks in advance.

@Sai Krishna said:
    Hello Jeff,

And too after 20 minutes it was showing as error as

• And too after 20 minutes it was showing as error as

• jfranken
    edited May 17, 2019 #10

Hi Sai,

It sounds like this is not an issue with the report caching the data. You should set "Needs cache for data-engine" back to true if you haven't already done so.

I think the issue might be that your url you are using is refreshing the generated document instead of re-running the report to get new data. I have attached an example that includes refresh code that runs the report. The example was created in the 24.4.0 designer. Before you run the report, you will need to edit the code in the Text element. Replace "<insert_path>" with the path to the location where you place the report on your machine. Only use forward slashes "/" in the path.

I created a static data set. When you change the data in the data set and save the report, the next browser refresh will display the new data.

Regarding the error message that is displayed when you wait 20 minutes, I suspect that your credentials are timing out. I don't have time to look into it at the moment. Maybe try searching this forum.

• Hello Jeff,

I have modified the auto-refresh logic by giving the report folder path. It was working good. Thank you so much for your help. And I have checked with the error message, after changing the logic I didnt found any such type of error issue again. :smile: