Getting Started With OpenText Forums

Karen WeirKaren Weir EM admin
edited August 26 in General

Follow these steps to personalize your experience in OpenText Forums:

Display Name

• If you have not signed in yet, you will be asked to set a Display Name
  • If you want to build your professional reputation, we suggest using FirstName_LastName. However, the choice it yours!

NOTE: You must sign in to access the FAQ links included in the following steps.

Follow Product Categories

• All OpenText products have a forum available for our experts to engage in conversation. This means that the list of forums will be quite lengthy, so we have a Follow feature that will refine your list to only those that you choose.

Add your Signature

• We offer the option to set your signature. This is a one-time setting; your signature will automatically display with each post and comment. Click on the gear icon in the upper right and Edit Profile.

Set Notifications

• In order to watch all conversations, know when comments are made to your posts, and when you are mentioned, we suggest setting up your email notifications.

Bookmark Posts For Later

• There will be posts that require more thought - in order to 'flag' posts to quickly find later, try the Bookmark feature.

Locating Your Product Category

• If you are signed in and do not see your product, please upgrade your account to include My Support access by clicking here.

• Those with My Support access will see the complete list of all OpenText products. To quickly locate your product, we suggest using ctrl f from the main page.

• After you select the ones you want to follow, it will be much easier to locate and participate.

FAQ
  • More FAQs are available to help you get the most out of your OpenText Forums experience.

Karen Weir
Forum Moderator
OpenText

Comments

• Hi Karen, great we look forward to the change - OT rocks!

• One thing that I loved about the traditional discussions was the e-mail notifications and that they contain the full text of the question or the comment. Can that be done here?

I set notifications on these forums and while I do see the text when there's a reply, only the title is provided when there's a new topic, and a "Check it out" link.

Thanks!
    Ben

• Karen WeirKaren Weir EM admin

Thanks @Benjamin Shapiro ,

We'll take a look at the configuration settings to see if 'new' topics can include the content in email notifications.

Karen

Karen Weir
    Forum Moderator
    OpenText

• Hi Karen,

Any follow up on Benjamin's remark?
    I just got my first email enabled discussion post and I only got the title.
    This really decreases my ability to select important posts and select post on which I'm able to answer.

Also in the Discussion tab I only see the title without any content and without a way to filter on the forums I follow.

Hans

• @Karen Weir said:
    Follow these steps to personalize your experience in OpenText Forums:

Display Name

• If you have not signed in yet, you will be asked to set a Display Name
    • If you want to build your professional reputation, we suggest using FirstName_LastName. However, the choice it yours!
    • NOTE: this display name cannot include spaces. NOTE: You must sign in to access the FAQ links included in the following steps.

Follow Product Categories

• All OpenText products have a forum available for our experts to engage in conversation. This means that the list of forums will be quite lengthy, so we have a Follow feature that will refine your list to only those that you choose.

Add your Signature

• We offer the option to set your signature. This is a one-time setting; your signature will automatically display with each post and comment. Click on the gear icon in the upper right and Edit Profile.

Set Notifications

• In order to watch all conversations, know when comments are made to your posts, and when you are mentioned, we suggest setting up your email notifications.

Bookmark Posts For Later

• There will be posts that require more thought - in order to 'flag' posts to quickly find later, try the Bookmark feature.

Locating Your Product Category

• If you are signed in and do not see your product, please upgrade your account to include My Support access by clicking here.

• Those with My Support access will see the complete list of all OpenText products. To quickly locate your product, we suggest using ctrl f from the main page.

• After you select the ones you want to follow, it will be much easier to locate and participate.

FAQ
    • More FAQs are available to help you get the most out of your OpenText Forums experience.

Hi Karen,

+1 to Hans`s comments.

On a side notem, by default my user name is lastname_firstname and trying to update that in the update my profile section gives me a 'Permission Problem' error.

• Naeem MohammedNaeem Mohammed Program Manager EM admin

@Rao_Prasad - I can help you with your user name and will reach out to you directly.

@Hans_Stoop et all: The subscriptions and email queuing services are in the process of being overhauled and while we hoped it would be in place in time for the remaining migration this week, it was not.

In the meantime, we recommend making use of the Follow capability on the categories you're interested in. This will not send you emails but you can filter the Recent Discussions to show a feed of all discussions in the categories you care about.

At a glance, you'll be able to see what questions have been asked, whether those questions have been answered, whether those answers have been accepted, how many views and additional comments.

Naeem
    Forum Admin
    OpenText

• Thanks Naeem, look forward to it. Liking what I see here so far :)
  • edited August 16

Cool thanks!

• dluodluo Consultant Developer
    edited August 23

deleted, no longer apply.

• edited August 26

In the old 'system' (a.k.a. the KC forums) we could set notifications to send us periodic emails with a list of new topics or responses to existing ones. I can't see how to do that here. Is it possible, of so how and if not is it coming?

All I have been able to achieve so far is individual emails for each reply to an existing topic.

Oh - I also have the issue with permissions and name change.

• Thanks @Grigg_Alister ,

We'll take a look at the name change issue you reference, and contact you directly.

For the email notifications, @Naeem Mohammed outlined the steps to take to review all discussions/posts for products you follow - (scroll up for the Aug16th post). We will keep everyone updated on the progress for full email notifications that more closely match your previous experience.

Karen

Karen Weir
    Forum Moderator
    OpenText

• @Karen Weir said:
    Thanks @Grigg_Alister ,

We'll take a look at the name change issue you reference, and contact you directly.

For the email notifications, @Naeem Mohammed outlined the steps to take to review all discussions/posts for products you follow - (scroll up for the Aug16th post). We will keep everyone updated on the progress for full email notifications that more closely match your previous experience.

Karen

Thanks Karen, I had read that and earlier posts from Naeem before I asked. The old method was far more usable, without it I'm not sure I'll bother with the forum.

• I understand @Grigg_Alister . Naeem provided a one-click option, but email is understandably just as popular to review all incoming posts/replies.

Karen Weir
    Forum Moderator
    OpenText

• Thanks Naeem. I'll pass that on to my guys.

• PramodMohandasPramodMohandas OpenText Developer

@jenilia122 said:
    I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post first time.
    nbiclearance.today/

Did we just receive our first fake comment? :o
    @Naeem Mohammed ?

• Naeem MohammedNaeem Mohammed Program Manager EM admin

@PramodMohandas as much as I'd like it to be real, I'm afraid you're right.

Naeem
    Forum Admin
    OpenText