How to create a procedure from birt tool?

Hello,

Good morning!
Could anyone please tell me how to create a procedure using birt. Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards,
Sai

Comments

• Jeff F.
    Customer Support Engineer I
    OpenText
  • No Jeff, I would like to create a procedure in which i have to write insert query there.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sai
  • BIRT is only for reporting. It does not have the ability to execute a SQL "insert" statement. You would need to create your own servlet:

https://forums.opentext.com/forums/discussion/61115/birt-report-with-database-write-back

Jeff F.
    OpenText
  • Thank you Jeff.

I need small help.

• If user ran a report by giving the values to the prompt.
    • Again when he ran the report again he have see the default values in the prompts previously entered by him.
      Could you please tell me how to make this thing happen. I am struggling to crack this issue since a week. :neutral:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sai
  • @Sai Krishna said:
    Thank you Jeff.

I need small help.

• If user ran a report by giving the values to the prompt.
    • Again when he ran the report again he have see the default values in the prompts previously entered by him.
      Could you please tell me how to make this thing happen. I am struggling to crack this issue since a week. :neutral:

Thanks in advance.

Hello Jeff,

Good morning!
    Could you please help me to crack this issue.
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sai
  • Hi Sai,

BIRT does not have functionality to save data. It queries and displays data. So the first question to answer is how do you save the user-entered parameter values. If you can use the Information Hub server to host reports, it has built-in functionality to save user-entered parameter values and display them the next time the report is run. Without iHub, you need to come up with your own method of saving the values. Here is a previous discussion on the same subject that hopefully will be helpful:

https://forums.opentext.com/forums/discussion/58646/saving-report-parameters-user-perferences

Jeff F.
    OpenText
  • @jfranken said:
    Hi Sai,

BIRT does not have functionality to save data. It queries and displays data. So the first question to answer is how do you save the user-entered parameter values. If you can use the Information Hub server to host reports, it has built-in functionality to save user-entered parameter values and display them the next time the report is run. Without iHub, you need to come up with your own method of saving the values. Here is a previous discussion on the same subject that hopefully will be helpful:

https://forums.opentext.com/forums/discussion/58646/saving-report-parameters-user-perferences

Hello Jeff,

I would like to use the Information Hub server to host reports. As you said, it has the built-in functionality to save user-entered parameter values and display them them the next time the report run,
    Is there any way to find that built-in functionality access so then we can display the values in prompts.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sai
  • Hi Sai,

When you run the command highlighted below in Information Console, you will be prompted to enter the report parameters. After you enter the values and save them, a new report icon will be created. You might need to refresh the folder to see it. Whenever you run the report using the that icon, it will default all of the parameters to the values you saved.

Jeff F.
    OpenText
  • @jfranken said:
    Hi Sai,

When you run the command highlighted below in Information Console, you will be prompted to enter the report parameters. After you enter the values and save them, a new report icon will be created. You might need to refresh the folder to see it. Whenever you run the report using the that icon, it will default all of the parameters to the values you saved.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried this by giving the default values to the prompts and ran the report I am able to see the values I have entered. I have also ran the report by modifying the prompt default value. But when I have re ran the report I am not getting the previous input values instead of that I am getting the values I have entered while creating the .rov file. Could you please tell me where I am doing mistake. Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sai
  • I just tested this. Every time I run the .rptdesign I get the default parameter values defined in the report. Each time I run the .rov I get the default parameter values specified in the "Create parameter value file" menu command. That is how it is designed to work. If you need different default values, you can make another .rov and optionally delete the first one.

(Note: I will be away next week.)

Jeff F.
    OpenText
  • Hello Jeff,

I have created a table in DB with 2 columns for iHub server Username and another for prompt value.
    I have also create a procedure in pgAdmin DB which contains "Insert query" as the code.
    When I have call the procedure with hardcoded inputs, I unable to see those entered values in the table. Can please tell me why it was happening like that. Thanks in advance

Thanks & Regards,
    Sai
  • Hi Sai,

I need more info:

When I have call the procedure with hardcoded inputs, I unable to see those entered values in the table.

How are you making the call? From iHub? From pgAdmin?

What is the syntax of the call?

Do any messages display when you run it?

What messages do you see in the Postgres logs?

Jeff F.
    OpenText
  • edited July 19

Hi Sai,

I noticed that you posted a question to Joel in the other forum related to this issue. I don't think Joel monitors these forums at the current time. In Joel's post that you quoted, he was simply explaining the basic behavior of the Parameter Value File in iHub. I'll go over the process in detail to make sure it is clear:

Create a report with parameters in the BIRT Designer. Optionally set default values for the parameters in the Parameter editor while designing the report. Save the report and upload it to iHub.

if you run the report in Information Console, the default parameter values specified in the Parameter editor when you designed the report will be used as the defaults in the Parameter window. As you know, if you change the parameter values and run the report, the next time you run the report your changes to the parameters will not be saved. The default values specified when the report was designed will be used again as the default values in the Parameter window.

Alternatively, you can select the "Create Parameter Value File" menu command from the report's menu in Information Console. The Parameter window will display with the same default values that display when you run the report. However, if you change the parameter values in this Parameter window, the values will be saved. A new file will be created in Information Console. The file Type will be "Report Parameter Values".

If you run the original report document again after creating the new file, its Parameter window will still use the default values specified when the report was designed, not the values you changed and saved. (This is a part of the process that you might be missing.) To use the newly changed parameter default values, you need to run the newly created file of type "Report Parameter Values". The Parameter Value File not only stores the modified parameter values, you also run it to run the report. Think of it as a report launcher that contains the modified parameter values.

Create a new Parameter Value File each time you want to change the default parameter values and then be able to use those values again in the future.

This functionality should work as I described on the standard iHub install. You should not need to add stored procedures, etc.

I hope this helps.

Jeff F.
    OpenText