flash Object

hatra
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1

Hi All,
I need a urgent help using flash object, I never used it and I am actually not sure what is the best way to use it.
I have tried to drag "Flash Object" into report layout > Flash Object Library > from library folder I have selected Flash object from all folder to check/ test but I get an error " error in loading data"
has anyone got an step by step document to create flash object or an example and necessary files to download please
thanks

Comments

• Anyone?

• Hi hatraatrin,

I was out of the office for a while and just noticed this thread. I don't have a lot of experience with Flash objects. When Adobe stopped supporting Flash I think most people switched to other options. I found the following link which has an example and the post links to another blog with code and a detailed description.

https://forums.opentext.com/forums/discussion/61360/flash-chart-and-gadget-scripting

I have not had time to test the example yet.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • Thanks Jeff,
    I did take a look at the link you forwarded but it doesn't seem to explain or give how to build and work with Flash object, I cant view the basic at all without any fancy coding. it complains about file or format not available.
    regards

• jfranken
    edited July 26, 2019 #5

I have attached a working example. The data.xml file must be placed in<BIRT_Install>\eclipse\plugins\com.actuate.birt.report.viewer_<version>\iportal. Then simply run the report from the Designer.

There isn't much information about how to supply data to a Flash Object that I could find. The Designer User Guide does not provide instructions. The data.xml file is not referenced in the xml source of the sample report. It appears that the data is handled completely by the Flash Object.

To run the Flash Object in BIRT, data.xml is placed in the \iportal directory. It is the context root directory (when you run a report, the URL is generated as "IP:port_number/iportal"). I don't know if this is a standard for Flash, or possibly for Fusion?

There may be more information on Flash Objects in a different document that I didn't find in my search. If I find a reference I will post it. Otherwise, I suggest searching the web for documentation on any Flash Object you use in a report.

• Thanks for your help Jeff, i will do a quick test

• Hey Jeff,
    I have placed the file under "eclipse\plugins\com.actuate.birt.report.viewer_\iportal"
    and I used the flash_object.rpt to run but I get " error loading data",

regards

• Sorry for the delay, and I also need to apologize for the example I posted. I thought it worked in 16.4. Now I can't get it to run in that version. It runs in 4.4.0.v20150710-0101 (3.1.1) released in 2015.

Most browsers either do not run flash or you have to manually add the permission to run it in the browser which then becomes a significant security risk. If you need a special interface, there is a lot that can be done in Highcharts or in a Custom Visualization on a report.

• Thanks Jeff, very helpful