What is fetched from 7.2/16.4 BOF Global Repository?

Hi developer experts,

of course we all know those dfc.globalregistry.**** entries in dfc.properties. Having examinend DFC a little bit deeper there is a DfPreferences class handling entries from dfc.properties file. Unfortunately that is a singleton and should not be threadsafe for modification by (parallel) requests to my WebService...

...because I need to switch DCTM sessions in my WebService to connect to 2 systems/environments:
1. current "WORK" DocBase
2. new "SUPPORT" DocBase to handle some migrated applications with their data
(I hope to split Content Server load through that).

Applications requesting my WebService right now should not be touched... so I can not set up a 2nd WebService instance, sorry.

Unfortunately the system admins do not like to have the new DocBase using the same BOF Global Registry (GR-WORK)... there would be an additional GR-SUPPORT DocBase.

But I can only enter 1 BOF GR config in dfc.props... and I can not change/adjust that at runtime for each session (see above... singleton/threadsafe?)

So I would like to know what exactly is fetched from BOF GR... maybe that is not used/needed by my WebService's functions and I could go with a warning on a DUMMY BOF GR entry in dfc.props...

Is there any DFC/Java code example to see/dump all data being fetched from BOF GR?
Or any experiences?

Short hint to used products in current "WORK" DocBase that may have settings/data in GR-WORK:
Webtop (will be deprecated soon), TCS, IRM, RPS, D2.

Thanks in advance, Juergen.

Comments

• AFAIK, global repository is used to store service based business objects (SBO) and federated users/groups WITHIN Documentum. Based on what you describe, I don't believe you need GR for your web services.

• Hi Johnny... Aloha to Hawai'i, been there twice... Life is a beach B)

thanks for sharing your thoughts... privileged DFC would be nice because the WebService DFC then has to be managed only in 1 GR.

Additionally I learned from my team mate that RPS (Retention Policy Services) objects are installed to the GR. Will that be used by the WebService DFC (document upload/download + delete functions) or is RPS enforced by the Content Server only?

• AFAIK, newer RPS attaches RPS aspects to documents when you declare them as records. If you are not using declaring records in your web service, then you don't need it. In order to RPS/RM functionality, you need to activate it with license key. I cant tell you if all RPS functions are enforced by CS only, but my guess is yes.

As for privilege DFC, since this is repository specific, it cant be done at GR level (just like TBOs).

• fmejwagner
    edited July 25, 2019 #5

Update... I used the StateOfDocbase job in the Global Registry repository to get familiar with data saved there.

I did not see an any critical data on first sight:

• A lot of aspect data (some 30-40 entries) is noticeable... but that are just standard entries, folders and some JARs.
    • Some XML files configuring some DFC 6 as minimum requirement...
    • no RPS data visible.

So I think usage of a common GR should be fine.