Documentum xPlore upgrade to 16.4 from 1.1

Hi All,

We have a requirement to upgrade xPlore from 1.1 to 16.4 version. If any one come cross this requirement kindly share some inputs related to best approach to upgrade xPlore. I think we do not have provision to directly upgrade to 16.4 as per upgrade/Migration guide. Please request you to share your inputs.

Comments

• You will have to completely reindex your documents. Depending on the volume, you should probably use a new machine, install and configure xPlore 16.4 and start reindexing while xPlore 1.1 is still running in parallel. Once reindexing is complete, you can switch to 16.4. Checkout the installation guide for more information.

• Hi Sreehan,

For xPlore also, you can follow two step upgrade approach, xPlore 1.1 --> 1.5 --> 16.4, both upgrades can be done in-place style. There is no need of re-indexing the whole content. However, if customer can afford for another xPlore server, along with index store, then you can follow the process suggested by bacham above.

Regards,
    Hari.

Hari Gadhamsetty
    Architect, Consulting Services
    OpenText

• I thought it was mandatory to reindex when upgrading from 1.1. Perhaps not, but according to the installation guide, you will not be able to use advanced features such as folder descend queries, compound words or better summaries. In any case, reindexing is recommended, especially if your index is as old as xPlore 1.1 and you never reindexed before.

• Thank you bacham and Hari for your valuable comments. We are also planning to setup 16.4 xPlore environment and do the reindexing . But I have 9 Million documents in the repository, Can anyone help me to understand what is the approximate time it will take to re-Index 9 Million documents with OT recommended Infra?

• Hard to estimate time - depends on file size, type of document, etc. My guess is at least a week. That being said, you can install 16.4 and start indexing against your existing repository, while xplore 1.1 is still running.

• Checkout the xPlore Installation guide, section on "Migrating large environments". Among other things it explains how you can temporarily add instances to speed up the process. But again, if you reindex in parallel with xPlore 1.1 still running, it shouldn't really matter if it takes 1 week or 3 weeks.

• Hope anyone from xPlore upgrade experience can help to answer the below thread?

xPlore Upgrade approach 1.4 to 20.2 OR xPlore to Documentum search module — OpenText - Forums

• I would submit a case with OpenText support. I dont think you can do simple xplore upgrade if moving different OS. Installing a brand new xplore and re-indexing everything is what I would do.

• Thank you, wanted to avoid reindexing
  • For possible downtime required in search services...

• You may be able to install new xplore and index all the content while the old xplore is still operational. Once the indexing is over, you can switch fulltext to new xplore server. Support can tell you if this is supported or not.

• Thank you

• Backup the domain, in DATA.

Then if an issue, revert back to 1.1

Install xPlore16 using same directory structure , same location.

Then configDsearch and configIndexAgents which will offer you "Upgrade"

Start IA and dSERACH

Just upgraded 1.4 to 16.4 this way, if it helps