Reloading jsp pages without the make_toolkit.ipl

Options
We are in the process of customizing the CC Professional UI and as a part of it we are putting all our JAVA code and JSP pages under the customer_src folder respectively.

Then we go through the make_toolkit.ipl process and it extends the CC Professional UI. The problem with this approach is that any syntax error or logic errors on the JSP page results in repeating the whole process again (pretty unwieldy and time consuming).

Is there a possibility whereby we can make changes to the JSP page at a target location and Teamsite picks up on the fly so that I can avoid the whole make_toolkit process.

I made changes to the file at this location -
"D:\Interwoven\ApplicationContainer\server\default\deploy\iw-cc.war" but I think there is some reload property that needs to be enabled before it takes the changes.

I'd really appreciate any insight.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• You can't as far as I know - when you run "make_toolkit.ipl" it compiles the JSP pages - and uses those copies - which is why making changes to the .jsp in the target location doesn't actually get updated.

I assume there may be a way around it, but I'm not experienced enough to work it out (there are some settings in the application build parameters to specific pre-compilation of JSP etc.). When I tried to update the "processed" files directly, they didn't work at all.

I've just accepted that if I update a JSP, I need to spend the 5+ minutes running the make_toolkit.ipl each time.
  • For development purposes (not recommended for any purposes other than development, as you stated in your query), you can drop your updated JSPs in there but
    a) make sure they're not precompiled by TS, meaning remove any entries in the web.xml that pertain to custom JSPs of yours
    b) clear out the "work" folder, which is where JBoss will store compiled versions of JSPs, meaning delete anything of yours within the following folder:
    ApplicationContainer/server/default/work/jboss.web/localhost/iw-cc/org/apache/jsp

I suggest making backups of the above before you do anything, because you can screw it up pretty bad if you delete the wrong thing. You can always restore the original iw-cc via install_webapps.ipl if you can't undo.
  • Thanks Rick. I shall have a look into that myself.
  • Rick - I do not see anything specific to my folder structure in the path that you described in the post.

Here is what I see when I go over there.

Directory of D:\Interwoven\ApplicationContainer\server\default\work\jboss.web\localhost\iw-cc\org\apache\jsp

base
    ccpro
    datacapture
    livesite
    lscs_002dsample
    teamsite
    vpreview
    workflowModeler

Nothing specific in ccpro folder as well? I'm using the "-nojsp_precompile" option. Alternatively, I went to the jboss.deployer folder and made changes to web.xml and enabled "development mode" and "modificationTestInterval" parameters on JspServlet. Do I have to rebuild the whole application once again?

Am I missing something?
  • I have it working now.

Here are the things that I did

1) Made changes to web.xml in jboss.deployer folder and modified/added the parameters in init-param

development : true
    notificationTaskInterval : 0

2) Rebuilt the entire application with target -install and -nojsp_precompile.

The advantage of this approach is that I do not have to delete the files from the work folder.

Thanks for all your inputs!!!!

Appreciate your help!!!
TeamSite Developer Resources

• Docker Automation

• LiveSite Content Services (LSCS) REST API

• Single Page Application (SPA) Modules

• TeamSite Add-ons

If you are interested in gaining full access to the content, you can register for a My Support account here.
OpenText CE Products
TeamSite
APIs