Deploying BIRT Report to J2EE application

techagile
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
Hi,<br />
<br />
I am actually working with BIRT and kinda just starter.<br />
<br />
My project requirement is use BIRT reports and present the same to end user. I have prepared various BIRT reports as expected by the End User, and are made using Eclipse IDE. Now I want to deploy at client side and I am stuck up. <br />
<strong class='bbc'>Issue: 1</strong><br />
<br />
I don't know where/how BIRT reports will fetch the Database connection string and database related information. I am looking to generalize that Database connection issue, rather hard code any where in report. !!!<br />
<br />
<strong class='bbc'>Issue: 2</strong><br />
Secondly, I need to understand how to deploy them into the web application. I am thinking to give a link, will it be wise to just give a link for the BIRT reports in .jsp pages ?<br />
<br />
I would appreciate if you could tell me how that could be possible.<br />
<br />
Thanks,<br />
Pranav<br />
P.S. Sorry if I am reposting the same question, please excuse me

Comments

• Virgil Dodson
    Virgil Dodson E admin
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    Hi Pranav,

One way to store the database connection is by using Libraries. By storing your data source in a library, you can easily change it and have it effect all reports that use the library. With BIRT 2.2, you can also create and leverage a Connection Profile so that changes made there also go across all the reports that use it.

For deploying your reports, there are several options. If you are using the open source viewer, then you can easily just add a link in a JSP page to call the viewer's servlet to generate the report. If you want the list of reports to be generated based on a users permissions, then you have to create that logic or look at the Actuate iPortal (trial available on this site). With the iPortal, each user gets only their list of reports.

Virgil
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • Assaf
    edited December 31, 1969 #3
    Yes,

You can call the viewer but this is installed as a seperate APP on the server..
    This is ok if your report works fully with DB datasources.. but what if the datasource is
    a scripted datasource that requires param object from your original APP ??

Any way to perform the call to the viewer in the same context as my APP ?? how is this integrated ?
  • Virgil Dodson
    Virgil Dodson E admin
    edited December 31, 1969 #4
    You can integrate the BIRT viewer into your existing application. In BIRT 2.2, you can create a BIRT Web Project to see how the viewer is deployed, and then copy over the files and integrate the contents from the web.xml.

You could also make your Java Objects available through a web service, XML, or a shared class on the app server and then the viewer in its own application can still see them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb