Enable for Business User Reporting

kranti
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
Hello,

I have downloaded the evaluation copy of Actuate iPortal.

But I am not able to move on defining the data sources in Business Report studio screens. Always it shows only the default datasource (ClassicModel). How can I make connection to the database and create a datasource so that i can test how it works on editing the report. I tried both in workgroup mode and enterprise mode.

In simple what i am looking for is

1) How to create a new report thru iportal, connecting to my database

2) how to make that report editable like creating new calculations, filters...etc

3) How to use BIRT report design (.rptdesign) files and open them in iportal and make them editable.

Please suggest something for this as soon as possible as we are in very urgent need for such kind of software.

Regards, KP

Comments

• rmurphy
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    BusinessReport Studio runs from the iPortal in either workgroup or enterprise mode. <br />
    <br />
    When running the iPortal in workgroup mode, data access for BusinessReport Studio is handled via data sets defined in a BIRT Report Template. BIRT Templates are created virtually the same way you would create a BIRT Report Design. You can find more information about building report templates in Chapter 2 of the Customizing BusinessReport Studio manual (<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.birt-exchange.com/modules/documentation/'>http://www.birt-exchange.com/modules/documentation/</a>)<br />
    <br />
    The same manual also gives information on where to place your report templates so they are accessible by BusinessReport Studio. Assuming a default setup, templates will be in the ...iPortalresourcesBizRDRptTemplates directory.<br />
    <br />
    When running in Enterprise mode, it is associated with an iServer Express which can leverage Information Objects for data access.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Rob
  • kranti
    edited December 31, 1969 #3
    i tried generating a .template file thru eclipse BIRT and using that in business report studio. i can view the report but i cant edit the report to my needs like filtering or changing column names..etc

how can i achieve it?
  • Virgil Dodson
    Virgil Dodson E admin
    edited December 31, 1969 #4
    Hi kranti,<br />
    <br />
    It sounds like you have data already in your table when created in the BIRT template. If this is the case, then you should probably save the design as an rptdesign and not an rpttemplate... then use the BIRT Interactive Viewer when running your report on the iServer Express to allow users to manipulate columns, sort order, grouping, etc.<br />
    <br />
    If you are creating the BIRT template so that users can create their own reports, then you leave the table empty, and make sure to right-click the table and select "Create Template Report Item". (see screenshot) This makes it available in the BusinessReport Studio. If you now want to add a few columns to the table, you can do that now and it will still be editable in the BusinessReport Studio.<br />
    <br />
    Enclosed is a sample rpttemplate that works off the sample data and shows 3 different tables in the stages as mentioned above.<br />
    <br />
    If you are using Actuate BIRT, you can right-click on the rpttemplate file and choose "Publish Template in iServer"... otherwise, if you are using Eclipse BIRT, open the iServer Express mgmt console (from your start menu) navigate to the root folder, select Resources, and create a directory called BizRDRptTemplates. You only need to do this once and the upper/lower case is important. Inside this directory, create as many directories as you want, for example, create a directory called MyTemplates and upload the rpttemplate inside this folder. In the Business Report studio, the user will select MyTemplates from the drop-down and see your template.<br />
    <br />
    There is more information on deploying templates to the BusinessReport Studio in the Customizing BusinessReport Studio manual available on the Docs page: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.birt-exchange.com/modules/documentation/'>http://www.birt-exchange.com/modules/documentation/</a&gt;
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • kranti
    edited December 31, 1969 #5
    Hi,

I tried following the steps mentioned. But when i try to open my template or rptdesign file getting the default data. how can i make sure to work with my datasources? can you send me any rptdesign file which is pointing to any of the database tables but not the default tables.
  • kranti
    edited December 31, 1969 #6
    And also you mentioned to open iServer Express mgmt console , does it mean i need to install iServer Express?? i have installed iPortal file only.
  • kranti
    edited December 31, 1969 #7
    Hi,

I am able to create templates and access them in Business Report Studio.

But i have few issues in using it further

1) How to give the parameters to be asked when we open a bizreport which is saved from a template file.

2) what is the location of the bizreports getting saved on physical hard disk. Because i created a bizreport and saved that as krantireport1.bizreport. but i cant identify where i saved it but its available in the reports list page on view.

please let me know something for this.
  • rmurphy
    edited December 31, 1969 #8
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' ><p>1) How to give the parameters to be asked when we open a bizreport which is saved from a template file.</p></blockquote>
    Users can define parameters in the Filter dialog by checking the Prompt check box. Then in the Value textbox, enter the text string that should be displayed to the user when the are prompted to enter a value.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' ><p>2) what is the location of the bizreports getting saved on physical hard disk. Because i created a bizreport and saved that as krantireport1.bizreport. but i cant identify where i saved it but its available in the reports list page on view.</p></blockquote>
    BusinessReport studio leverages a file system based repository defined by the STANDALONE_REPOSITORY_PATH context-param in the web.xml file. In a default installation, the param points to C:/Program Files/Actuate9/iPortal/repository<br />
    <br />
    Rob
  • kranti
    edited December 31, 1969 #9
    Hi,

can we give the facility to end user with some data cubes or result sets to select the columns he wants and from there he could create filtered reports..etc?
  • rmurphy
    edited December 31, 1969 #10
    Absolutely. Templates used by BusinessReport Studio can include BIRT data sets (cubes are not yet supported) where the user can drag and drop the appropriate columns onto the report. From their they can filter, group, sort, etc.<br />
    <br />
    If you use BusinessReport Studio with the iServer Express, you can also leverage Information Objects. Information Objects provides a meta data layer that gives the end user more flexibility when selecting data for a report. Information Objects also give develops a lot more functionality that cannot be achieved by using BIRT Data Sets.<br />
    <br />
    The following DevShare post gives a video overview of creating templates for use in BusinessReport Studio. The video walks through creating a template that embeds a data set for use in BusinessReport Studio.<br />
    <br />
    <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.birt-exchange.com/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=3&lid=359'>http://www.birt-exchange.com/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=3&lid=359</a><br />
    <br />
    Rob