Programatically implementing I18n!!!

Dhaval
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
Hi All,

I have a .rptdesign & .properties (for i18n) files. Now, I want to know that how can I access these .properties file to localize the text in .rptdesign at runtime. I want this to be done using either Engine api or Design api.

Could I use ResourceBundle? Then please provide me to integrate ResourceBundle with BIRT api.

Thanks in advance.

DHAVAL

Comments

• Virgil Dodson
    Virgil Dodson E admin
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    Hi Dhaval,

If you are trying to change out the properties file at runtime, you can do this in the beforeFactory method with syntax like below:

var rr = reportContext.getReportRunnable();
    rr.designHandle.setProperty("includeResource", "MyResources");

You can also assign the textkey that gets evaluated in the name/value pait to a label by using:

onPrepare() method of label...
    this.textKey = "welcome";

or from anywhere else...
    reportContext.getReportRunnable().getDesignInstance().getLabel("GoodbyeLabel").textKey = "goodbye";
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • Dhaval
    edited December 31, 1969 #3
    Thanks vdodson for you reply! I have one more thing. Can we do I18n by using ReportEngine api. If it is possible then please help us.

I have inserted a Group field in the crosstab which is having few entries, now I have got their mapping in resource files (.properites) for each langauge & not in designer. So, how could I do that mapping using only ReportEngine api, i.e. IRunTask or IRenderTask or IRunAndRenderTask.

Again thanks in advance.

DHAVAL
  • Virgil Dodson
    Virgil Dodson E admin
    edited December 31, 1969 #4
    If you are trying to set the location of the properties files at runtime using the REAPI, then you can call <br />
    config.setResourcePath("C:/work/eclipse/BIRT_221/resources"); <br />
    from the EngineConfig.<br />
    <br />
    You can also assign the locale at runtime with something like:<br />
    task.setLocale(ULocale.FRENCH);<br />
    <br />
    You will need to get a handle on the report design if you want to start assigning resource keys to individual elements like below.<br />
    <br />
    IReportRunnable design = null;<br />
    ReportDesignHandle dh = null;<br />
    <br />
    design = engine.openReportDesign("C:/workspace_221/birt/Localization.rptdesign"); <br />
    dh = (ReportDesignHandle) design.getDesignHandle();<br />
    <br />
    LabelHandle mylabel = (LabelHandle) dh.findElement("LastLabel");<br />
    mylabel.setTextKey("welcome");<br />
    <br />
    ... and in your case where you want a dynamically assigned textkey based on the group there may be some extra work. There may be a better way, but you can use the Mapping feature to assign a resource key. I've created an example reportdesign that does this (link below) and if you want to assign these mappings using the REAPI, it would look something like below.<br />
    <br />
    ReportItemHandle dataitem = (ReportItemHandle) dh.findElement("OfficeGroupField");<br />
    MapRule mr = StructureFactory.createMapRule();<br />
    mr.setTestExpression("row["OFFICECODE"]");<br />
    mr.setOperator(DesignChoiceConstants.MAP_OPERATOR_EQ);<br />
    mr.setValue1("7");<br />
    mr.setDisplayKey("7");<br />
    <br />
    PropertyHandle ph = dataitem.getPropertyHandle(StyleHandle.MAP_RULES_PROP);<br />
    ph.addItem(mr);<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    The example has been uploaded to:<br />
    <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.birt-exchange.com/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=2&lid=351'>http://www.birt-exchange.com/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=2&lid=351</a&gt;
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb