Report viewer internalization

sandman42
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
Hi,

as explained in another post, I'm playing with BIRT and MyEclipse.

I'm trying to understand how can I translate viewer strings, like "Goto page", "Page 1 of", "Processing, please wait...", "Cancel" and so on.

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks

Ciao

Comments

• Virgil Dodson
    Virgil Dodson E admin
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    Hi sandman42,

The text strings for the BIRT Web Report Viewer are stored in a file called Messages.properties.

This file is stored inside the viewservlets.jar file.

For MyEclipse, the file location can be found by looking at the Project Properties | Java Build Path | Libraries. Mine is located at: C:Program FilesMyEclipse 6.0myeclipseeclipsepluginscom.genuitec.eclipse.reporting_6.0.2.zmyeclipse602200712data2.2. Outside of MyEclipse, this file is available in your project directory at WebContentWEB-INFlib

The best way I have found to make changes is to extract the Messages.properties file from the viewservlets.jar (using Winzip), create a new folder called org.eclipse.birt.report.resource in your project 'src' folder, and then add the Messages.properties file. You can modify it as needed from here. Restart your server for the changes to take effect.

You can also create several copies of the properties files (Messages_us_EN.properties, Messages_fr.properties, etc) for each locale you want to support. These will automatically be picked up based on the browser setting for each user.

FYI - If you are deploying your BIRT reports with the Actuate iPortal... or iServer Express, then the viewer is already localized for several languages.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb