Creating BIRT Reports on the web

berk123
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
Is there a way to integrate designer into an existing web application so that the users can create on the fly reports using the designer? I know that Birt Report Viewer can be deployed so that reports can be viewed but can we do the same with Report Designer for creating reports?

Thanks!

Comments

• cypherdj
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
  • berk123
    edited December 31, 1969 #3
    Hi Cypherdj,<br />
    Thanks for your reply. I think my question wasn't clear enough. Actually, I wanted to know if the BIRT Report Designer can be integrated within a webapp so It is available for end-user to create reports using a browser as opposed to eclipse + birt. I've created BIRT web projects and viewed the reports using the Birt Web Viewer as part of my webapp but I would like to know if I can create the reports on the fly using BIRT Report Designer using a browser. I found this posting <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.birt-exchange.com/modules/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9418'>http://www.birt-exchange.com/modules/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9418</a&gt; but I'm not sure if it can actually be integrated into an existing webapp or if its just a stand alone tool.
  • cypherdj
    edited December 31, 1969 #4
    Sorry you are actually talking about BIRT Designer for End Users. I thought you were talking about integrating the Designer API into a web app to produce report designs at runtime from end user choices.

I'm not sure about this product, I'm afraid.
  • averma
    edited December 31, 1969 #5
    Hi cypherdj:<br />
    BIRT Designer for end users (also called BusinessReport Studio) is such a web application and can work standalone or integrate with an existing web application(through a URL). You can download a free 90 day trial of the application from here:<br />
    <a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.birt-exchange.com/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=3&lid=183'>http://www.birt-exchange.com/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=3&lid=183</a><br />
    <br />
    Ashwini
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • berk123
    edited December 31, 1969 #6
    Hi Ashwini,
    Is there any documentation that talks about how to integrate BRS into an existing webapp. I have downloaded a 90 day trial version.

Thanks.
  • coming back to this question (2021 Apri!) Do we have a path so we can use a web version of report designer so we can let users desing birt rerpots on the web ? The functionality we are looking is :

• Need Data Explorer - Organizes your data sources (connections) and data sets (queries). The data set editor allows you to test your data set to ensure the report receives the correct data. Within this view multi dimensional cubes can be created using existing data sets. Cubes are currently used when building dynamic cross tables. This view also is used to design report parameters.

• Need Layout View - WYSIWYG editor that provides drag & drop creation of the presentation portion of your report.

• Need Palette - Contains the standard BIRT report elements such as labels, tables, and charts and is used in conjunction with the Layout View to design reports.

• Need Property Editor - Presents the most commonly used properties in a convenient format that makes editing quick and easy. BIRT also integrates with the standard Eclipse property view to provide a detailed listing of all properties for an item.

• Need Script Editor - Scripting adds business logic to reports during data access, during report generation, or during viewing. The code editor provides standard Eclipse features for editing your scripts: syntax coloring, auto-complete and more. An interesting new feature, for BIRT 2.3 is the ability to debug scripts while the report is running.

• Need: Outline - BIRT reports are organized as a tree structure with the overall report as the root, and separate categories for styles, report content, data sources, data sets, report parameters and more. The Outline view provides a compact overview of your entire report structure.

• Alternate to Cheat Sheets - Learning a new tool is always a challenge, but Eclipse offers an innovative solution: cheat sheets. These are short bits of documentation that walk you through new tasks.

• Not sure :Resource Explorer - BIRT allows the reuse of report objects, such as tables, data sources and styles. Objects created for reuse are stored in a library file. To browse the contents of report libraries BIRT supplies a Resource Explorer view. This view list all libraries within the resource folder, in addition other shared content such as images and JavaScript files.

• Need Chart Builder - Adding Charts to BIRT designs is expedited with the Chart Builder. Chart creation is separated into three phases: Select Chart Type, Select Data, and Format Chart.

• Need Expression Builder - BIRT expressions are really just simple scripts that return a value. Expressions are used for assigning data values to report elements, building image locations, hyperlinks, parameter default values and many other places. Expressions are constructed within BIRT using the Expression Builder.

Ref: https://www.eclipse.org/birt/about/designer.php

• Hi @AndyVad , OpenText consultants can certainly help review requirements with you offline. I can recommend our Professional Services or Sales to get you started. Please let me know your preference.