Rpeort with dynamic content based on parameters

Options
mennovh
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
Hi,

I have been asked to create a report for which the customer can control the content using parameters.

The idea is that they will be able to choose the columns and groupings of the table and also choose to add a graph and define the grouping/calculation in the chart.

For the table I have come up with the approach of using a set of computed columns that a populate baased on the selected parameters.

So for example I have a report with 5 columns and the report has a parametet for the value of each column.
The end user chosed which value they want in each of the columns and these then get created as computed columns.

I have set the values of the column parameters to match the sql results so that I can use the following formula to fill the columns:

if (params["column1"].value !="blank") {row[params["column1"]]} else {"blank"}.

Similary I have used computed columns for the grouping levels of the table.

I am aware that this approach does increase the size of the returned dataset but it does mean I do not need to use more complex scripting in the report design itself to set the values of the 'dynamic' columns.

I have now been asked to do the same for charts on a report. I am coming concerned that my approach might create very large datasets and that using scripting in the report itself might be a better approach then using computed columns as placeholders.

What are the thoughts on the pro and cons of either approach?

Comments