Special unicode characters in pdf output

jarda-wien
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
Hello,<br />
<br />
I am trying to use a tick (?) and a cross (?) symbol in pdf output. Copying it directly from <a class='bbc_url' href='http://plasticmind.com/labs/symbolassist/'>SymbolAssist</a&gt; works in html, but not in pdf. The font is embedded in the pdf.<br />
<br />
I tried a data report item with the characters in unicode or java-style escaped values. I also tried a html text element with html-style escaped values. Everything works in html or even odt, but not in pdf.<br />
<br />
Is it even possible? I found a clue <a class='bbc_url' href='http://itext-general.2136553.n4.nabble.com/check-mark-character-not-showing-up-correctly-td2154186.html'>here</a&gt; but I am not sure what to do next.<br />
<br />
Thanks for any help!

Comments

• mwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #2
    If I put the following in an HTML text box, it shows the symbols in PDF, for me:

&#x2714; &#x2715;

If I put the following as the expression in a data element, it shows the symbols in PDF, for me:

"\u2714 \u2715"

Let me know if neither of these options work for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • jarda-wien
    edited December 31, 1969 #3
    Problem solved, thank you.

It turns out that my font has different mappings. \u2714 worked for me, \u2715 did not. With the help of a font manager I figured out the cross (in my case \u2718).
  • mwilliams
    edited December 31, 1969 #4
    Great! Glad to help! Let us know whenever you have questions! :)
  • <p>Hi</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>I am having a similar issue, I am trying to display black diamond using 25C6. I put  &#x2714 in html text box it displays fine but if I try displaying 25C6 or any code which has characters in the hexa value of unicode like  25D5 they display as %C6 and %D5.</p>
    <p>I am not sure how to make it work.</p>
    <p>Any help is appreciated.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p> </p>
  • I see what you're saying from the text box with $#x25C6, but have you tried "\u25C6" from a data binding? That works for me.<br><br>A workaround for the text box issue could be to add a binding to your textbox (go to binding tab of property editor) with the expression of "\u25C6". Then, in your text box, you can use <value-of>row["yourBindingName"]</value-of>.
  • <p>Thank you.. , that worked :)</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>-Asha</p>
  • Great! Glad to help! Let us know whenever you have questions! :)
  • <p>Hi,</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>So far everyone in this thread has had success so hopefully we can keep that going. I have a similar problem to the ones mentioned above. I'm trying to display Vietnamese characters such as Nếu bạn không (&#78;&#7871;&#117;&#32;&#98;&#7841;&#110;&#32;&#107;&#104;&#244;&#110;&#103). If I use either the characters or the utf-8 codes in I can generate a pdf from my birt in eclipse on widows and everything displays correctly. When generating the pdf from our birt server on linux, Adobe asks me to install a font pack when opening. I'm trying to figure out the difference and if something can be changed in the report design or on the birt server to prevent anyone opening this pdf from having to have a font pack.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>If anyone has an idea as to why this would be I would appreciate the help. Thanks!</p>
  • Hi All,
    i have the same problem, i'm trying to display the ✔ on pdf, but there is no way to display.
    I've tried as you post above, is working only in HTML with ✔ but when i export to pdf is not showing.
    Thanks a lot