Providing ability to save report parameters

ptrhead99
edited February 11, 2022 in Analytics #1
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Our development group is developing a number of complicated reports with a large number of parameters (mixed types, some complicated).   One feature which we need to provide is the ability to allow the user to save the parameters for later running of the report - this will allow them to prepare the complicated set of parameters in advance and run reports later or routinely as needed.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It's not clear how this should be done.    We're using iHub 3.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The BIRT iHub Visualization Platform document has something that seems to touch upon what we need.    There's a discussion of being able to "Create Parameter Value File" (ie. .rov file) for some parameter types (filter parameter values).        However, our reports are a combination of parameter types (strings, dates, etc).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can this be done for reports/parameters, regardless of parameter type ?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

Comments

• <p>Hi,</p>
    <p>As far as I know there are no restrictions when creating a parameter value file.</p>
    <p>You simply need to click on the small arrow left to the report design in the BIRT Visualization console and select "Create parameter value file".</p>
    <p>This will open a window with all the parameters present in your report like if you were running the report. You can then set the parameter values.</p>
    <p>Once the file is created you can click on it to generate the report instead of the rptdocument and the parameter will all be set for you.</p>
    <p>Hope this helps.</p>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • @janderegg said:
    Hi,

As far as I know there are no restrictions when creating a parameter value file.

You simply need to click on the small arrow left to the report design in the BIRT Visualization console and select "Create parameter value file".

This will open a window with all the parameters present in your report like if you were running the report. You can then set the parameter values.

Once the file is created you can click on it to generate the report instead of the rptdocument and the parameter will all be set for you.

Hope this helps.

Hello Joel,

I have tried by creating the Parameter value file in iHub server. After do that, I ran the report by giving the values in prompts and I have got the result. But, when I reran the report, I didnt found the values entered previously.
    Could you please tell me how to get previously entered values in the prompts after first run.
    Thanks in advance.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format ipb
  • Hi Sai,
    I just saw your reply. If you are still waiting on an answer on this you need to do the following.

• select the create the parameter value file.
    • instead of running the report design you schedule or run the parameter file and it will define automatically all the values with the ones you have in your parameter file.