Getting Metadata from a previous file version

I need to list the extended attributes from a previous version of a file. The problem seems to be that I can only get the EAs if the file exists in an edition (by running iwextattr, explicitly specifying that file version's "edition vpath"). However, a file may go through many version before an edition is created, so I don't have a vpath to those intermediate versions. The only way I can see round this is to have a "restore" workarea and temporarily revert the version of the file I'm interested in into that workarea. This is a bit of a hack, and would rather find a more elegant solution.

This seems like quite an obvious requirement of a CM system, but I can't find an easy solution.

Any pointers/suggestions/solutions would be appreciated

Thanks

Rob

Edited by reasonablekeith on 03/25/03 03:20 AM (server time).

Comments

• The intermediate versions still go into an "edition" even if it's not a named edition. If you look at the revision history for a file let's say it's called default/main/foo.txt it will list the old versions using an area number, like #5. You can than give that number to iwextattr to get the EAs for the old version. Example:
    iwextattr /default/main/EDITION/#5/foo.txt
  • This is only for TeamSite versions 5.5.2 and above, right?
    -- James

--
    James H Koh
    Interwoven Engineering
  • I bet that's right. I only tried it on 5.5.2.
  • Argghhh!. We're at 5.0.1 here still, and it doesn't work, fortunately we're upgrading within the month. I'll do my hack in a module so I can swap it out later for your much better solution.

Thanks for your help guys

Rob
TeamSite Developer Resources

• Docker Automation

• LiveSite Content Services (LSCS) REST API

• Single Page Application (SPA) Modules

• TeamSite Add-ons

If you are interested in gaining full access to the content, you can register for a My Support account here.
OpenText CE Products
TeamSite
APIs