Migrating from iHub2 to iHub3

Hello BIRT Experts,

I'm working on the preliminary project of migrating iHub2 to iHub16. We have multiple volumes on iHub2. I found no description of direct migration procedure from iHub2 to iHub16.

I was told by OpenText Support that first I need migrate from iHub2 to iHub3 and then "an over the top installation to iHub16".

I found the descriptions of migration procedures from iHu3 -> iHub3.1, iHub3 - > iHub3.1.1, iHub3.1 -> iHub16, except iHub2 -> iHub3. 

I have idea how to do migration except one thing - migrating volumes metadata. I know that there were big structural changes in metadata database.

Please, share your real experience with migrating iHub2 to iHub3, and how you dealt with migrating volumes metadata.

Thank you!

Comments

• ygrument,

There is not a direct install path to migrate from iHub 2 to iHub 3.

Doing so involves a number of steps, and due to the complexity, we suggest strongly engaging our Professional Services department on the same.

Thanks!

Ryan Siegler
    OpenText Support
    http://www.opentext.com

• Hi Rian,

Thank you for your response!

I’m still wondering if there is other then “we suggest strongly engaging our Professional Services department” way to upgrade iHub2 product?

I don’t need to go though the “number of steps” because I’ve already covered all of them except only one - migrating volumes metadata.

Between iHub2 and iHub3 there is only one substantial difference – iHub2 stores metadata in one db schema, and iHub (>=3) stores metadata using principle one volume – one db schema.

So, if I create multiple volumes schemas using command line volumes creation tool on iHub(>=3), would it be so difficult to run another tool (which I desperately try to find) , that will scan iHub2 db schema, and copy records into multiple schemas of target db). Is it something of a big complexity?

I also wonder if there are other big companies, receiving big money for licenses and support,  which don’t provide any migration tools when upgrading from one version to another? At least, I don’t know such ones.

• edited June 2017

Hi Rian,

Thank you for your response!

I’m still wondering if there is other then “we suggest strongly engaging our Professional Services department” way to upgrade iHub2 product?

I don’t need to go though the “number of steps” because I’ve already covered all of them except only one - migrating volumes metadata.

Between iHub2 and iHub3 there is only one substantial difference – iHub2 stores metadata in one db schema, and iHub (>=3) stores metadata using principle one volume – one db schema.

So, if I create multiple volumes schemas using command line volumes creation tool on iHub(>=3), would it be so difficult to run another tool (which I desperately try to find) , that will scan iHub2 db schema, and copy records into multiple schemas of target db). Is it something of a big complexity?

I also wonder if there are other big companies, receiving big money for licenses and support,  which don’t provide any migration tools when upgrading from one version to another? At least, I don’t know such ones.

Ygrument,

I would suggest contacting Support in regards to this issue, as my understanding is that there were enough changes to the metadata database table structure (IE - removal of roles, different tables, different columns, etc.) that requires multiple steps in order to effectively migrate the data to iHub 3 from iHub 2.

-Ryan

Ryan Siegler
    OpenText Support
    http://www.opentext.com