Composer and Subversion

Webster
edited September 29, 2008 in Documentum #1

I read a thread a couple of months back relating to the fact that Subversion couldn't integrate with Composer. Does anyone know if there is an up date to this?

We are using D6 SP1

Comments

• david.louie
    edited August 18, 2008 #2

Hi,

You should be able to use Composer with Subversion in your environment. One thing I'd like to note is that Composer released a set of bug fixes after D6 SP1, and that release is called D6 SP1.5. The 'D6 SP1.5' version name is only used by Composer, and this version of Composer is designed to work against the D6 SP1 stack.

Give that version a try, and if Composer D6 SP1.5 doesn't work with the Subversion Eclipse plug-in layered on top, let us know.

Thanks!

• Webster
    edited August 20, 2008 #3

Hi David

Thanks for the response - I would have replied sooner but we've been going through a whole world of pain here!

Tbh, we haven't got to the point where we can see if Subversion works in Composer 6 SP1.5, although I did manage to install Subclipse ok. The big problem we have at the moment is with an apparent incompatability between Composer D6SP and SP1.5. Opening an SP1-built project in SP1.5 (with subsequent clean build) results in a number of errors. I've attached a file showing the output, but the main errors are:

• 'moduleAttached' of 'DAspect' contains an unresolved 'AspectModuleDef' reference

• 'object type' of 'LiteralExpr' must be set

These errors result in the aspect information and the dar resources not being able to be opened.

This was with the same workspace (and .metadata directory). Creating a new workspace for the SP1.5 version and importing the project in resulted in even more errors, but I'll leave that for now.

Having spent nearly 3 man days on this, we're getting pretty frustrated and it seems the only option available to us is to start from scratch with a new SP1.5 project, which isn't what we want to do, especially as we have no time in the plan for it! At this point we "may" be able to incorporate Subversion, or we may not - in which case it would have been a large waste of time.

So, I suppose the question now is: how should a project created in Composer 6 SP1 be upgraded to SP1.5?

• david.louie
    edited August 20, 2008 #4

I'm sorry to hear about your Composer issues.

When moving from one version of Composer to another, the recommended approach is to create a new workspace, import your Composer projects into that new workspace, and do a clean build.

If you'd like, we can take a look at your Composer Projects internally. Send me your contact information, and Composer Projects if they are a reasonable size, otherwise we can work something out via FTP. I can be reached at louie_david@emc.com.

Thanks!

• Webster
    edited August 21, 2008 #5

Hi David

Thanks for the offer of help - we may well take you up on that but I'll update you with what's happened first.

We did try and follow the approach you suggested but we did get quite a few issues - it certainly didn't work! The main problem seems to center around the use of Aspects (types and modules) in the project but whether the problems are to do directly with them it's hard to say. I would add at this point that our project incuded Artefacts, TBOs and Web Services - not that this should make a difference, but just so you have the whole picture

In the end, we did create a new SP1.5 project (in a new workspace) and imported the artefacts in - one thing I would say is that I think the documentation could be beefed up in this area. It's not that there is anything wrong with it, just that it took quite a bit of trial and error before it all came in ok. Most of it is down to dependencies so not especially difficult, but it does make it frustrating when, for example, you import some JarDefs then import, say, a Module and then find that you have 2 JarDefs of the same name. Deleting one or the other results in an error in the project and the only way to proceed is to delete all the JarDefs and start at the top of the chain again. This might seem trivial, but when you're not 100% sure what makes up a "project" and your trying to do it all bit by bit carefully, it can be extremely frustrating, so some guidance in this area could well be welcomed by many when they come to do the same.

Anyway, currently we have an SP1.5 project with the artefacts in but none of the other stuff. We are currently trying to rebuild the web service code as this became "broken" during our attempts at an upgrade - I'm not sure what effect the .metadata folder plays on the project but since it was deleted the remaining code is not playing ball! Hopefully we'll get it resolved today and I'll update you when we do.

Many thanks

Andrew

• IngoZ
    IngoZ E
    edited September 26, 2008 #6

I was trying to include subversive or subclipse into Composer 6.5 but always ended up with this message: Eclipse Modeling Framework Technology Validation OCL (1.0.1.v200609250852) requires plug-in "org.eclipse.emf.ocl". Tried to hack it just so that I could get going but without luck.

David, any updates on that?

Thanks,

Ingo

• IngoZ
    IngoZ E
    edited September 29, 2008 #7

BTW, found the issue. The OCL which is a part of EMS is incomplete within Composer (6.5). Install the OCL runtime and the installation of subclipse works.

Found here: http://archive.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/ocl/downloads/drops/1.0.1/R200609250830/

DDL: http://archive.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/ocl/downloads/drops/1.0.1/R200609250830/emft-ocl-runtime-1.0.1.zip

FYI, latest subclipse supports svn 1.5 for Eclipse 3.2. Subversive in turn needs a newer version of Eclipse.

• david.louie
    edited September 29, 2008 #8

Thanks for the information Ingo.

In D6.5 SP1, we're planning to move to Eclipse 3.4. Using one of our internal builds, I've tested connecting off to the Subclipse Update Site to get Subclipse, and it works fine.

So rest assured that come D6.5 SP1, you can layer Subclipse on top of Composer out of the box.