Checking the Pulse of the Documentum community

AlanZ
edited September 5, 2008 in Documentum #1

Ok, I need your help.

A new feature of the EDN is "Developer Pulse" which allows us to create polls where we ask members to cast their votes on topics of interest.

Maybe only a few of you have noticed this, but there are a couple of polls that I'm most interested in, and I want to try a little experiment.

I want to see if the Documentum community can skyrocket the poll numbers.

We have thousands of people reading Documentum discussion threads, and I want to show folk at EMC that our Documentum community is engaged with the new platform. We can do this by spiking the Developer Pulse numbers.

It should be entertaining to see what happens, so please vote in these two polls.

• EDN Home Page (50 votes as of 9/4/08 morning)

• Vote here We'd like to know more about who you are. Which one title BEST describes you?

• Documentum Community Home page (42 votes as of 9/4/08 morning)

• Vote here How much of your development effort is focused on web services?

We can use this thread to track the vote results, and also list questions you'd like to add to the poll... what would you like to know that the community can vote on?

A couple of notes

• You have to log into the EDN to vote. If you're not already a member, Click here to register (it's free!)

• If you are not logged in, you simply see vote totals

• If you are logged in, and haven't voted yet, you are presented with choices

• You can only vote once per poll, then you're taken to the results screen

• You can click on the "Full Results" link at the bottom of each poll for more detail, and any member comments about the poll.

Comments

• AlanZ
    edited September 4, 2008 #2

The numbers are creeping up... this thread is only about 2 hours old.

EDN Home page poll up to 57 votes.

Documentum home page poll up to 45 votes.

Let's make the quantum leap... impress your friends... cast your vote!

• AlanZ
    edited September 5, 2008 #3

The numbers are creeping up, but slowly.

This thread has been up for less than a day and has gotten nearly 900 views so far.

So this begs the question: Why aren't there hundreds of votes in the developer polls?

• Are people not logged in?

• Is it too much trouble logging in for each visit? (Should we have a cookie that persists so you log in automatically when returning to the EDN pages?)

• Do most of the visitors/lurkers not have an EDN account?

• Are these the wrong poll questions? If so, what do YOU want to know?

Inquiring minds want to know.

.... and in the spirit of the current election season here in the USA... vote vote vote <s>

• nick
    edited September 5, 2008 #4

Alan,

The thread is certainly popular but i think quite a lot of those visits must be the second or third visits of people who just visit to see if there is any new response to the thread. Considering that 900/3(posts in the thread) = 300. Technically there should be around 300 responses. So I guess you are partially right in saying that some don’t have EDN account, some just take a look and leave and the rest care to vote.

I would say it is just the beginning, have some patience…