Documentum Desktop Client

Options
sanil
edited October 3, 2008 in Documentum #1

Hi,

I am looking forward to customizing desktop client.Could anyone please advice me of how to go about. What is the framework used? On which platform is the code written?

I was searching here for the document "Developing Documentum Desktop Client Components" but couldn't find it.

Any initial document containing the details would be of great help.

Thanks for the help in advance .

Sanil

Comments

• DCTM_Guru
    edited September 23, 2008 #2
    Options

Desktop UI are built using VB. I believe the Desktop development tutorials is part of the Developer documentation in Powerlink, if its still available. Since the product is not officially supported any more, it may no longer be on the download site.

• spinkj
    edited September 30, 2008 #3
    Options

Desktop is supported - but only till 31 Dec 08, so time is short for any new developments. There is no new version planned after that, so be aware that going to Webtop is probably a better choice.

In case you don't, have attached some PDFs that may help.

• msroth
    edited September 30, 2008 #4
    Options

There is a great* book available that covers this topic exactly with plenty of advice, frameworks and examples. The book is "A Beginners Guide to Developing Documentum Desktop Applications", ISBN 0-595-33968-9. You can get the eBook pretty cheap from Amazon.com.

*I am a little biased being the author of the book, but I am glad to see folks still using the Desktop Client.

• JosePGisone
    edited October 2, 2008 #5
    Options

Hi Scott,

I recommend you quickly put your book on sale before the End of Support deadline is reached - maybe a Wal-Mart Special.

On the other hand, you could probably jack up your prices quite a lot a few months after the EOS date - seeing as how resources for DTC development will start to dwindle.

The really interesting thing is ... how in the world did you get your profile to say "member since 1999"? Especially since neither this forum, nor the old Dev Forums, nor the Support Forums were around back in those days. That's a magic trick I'd like to see.

Best,

JPG.

• msroth
    edited October 3, 2008 #6
    Options

Ha! That 1999 thing is pretty funny; I hadn't noticed it. Alan Z set up my profile back when this version of EDN was in beta so I have no idea what the magic behind it is.

As for Wal-Mart...if I could get them intersted I would. But how many DCTM developers shop for books at Wal-mart? In the meantime, it remains available from most of the big online booksellers.