word doc that automatically displays a form upon open and all combo

boxes are there with an ok button, once the ok button is clicked the

information from the comboboxes jump to the textboxes inside the

document.

Now my problem is i also have the exact same fields

inside documentum via the new document type that i created. How do i

get the information from the word document to documentum like (company

name) and i might also need a way to get information from documentum

and put it inside the word document like (version number).

Thanks.

Michael Ong

TMM Management Inc.

Comments

• mszurap
    edited October 2, 2008 #2

Hi Michael,

You can do it with creating a plugin to Document Transformation Services (which is extending the Content Transformation Services product and it's framework). This plugin could read the Word document and set the Documentum object's properties after the "transformation". The plugin itself is a java class, that can call a VB application for example which can process the Word document. Not an easy way, but it can be solved.

If I would get this requirement, I would make a web form and after filling in the form, the system could generate an RTF or Word document, that would not need the CTS plugin.

Mike

• mlong@tmmphil.com
    edited October 2, 2008 #3

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply . Just to clarify, the users have to edit their word document on their pcs. after which they connect to documentum via the webtop interface and then import the document there, and we only got the basic bundle for documentum which doesnt include rendition so when i check my CTS iin DA it says there are no CTS instances running.

Is there a way just to read information from the textbox (companyname) and update the documentum object (companyname) automatically. Cause the way i see it the manual way is to have the user enter information in the textbox (companyname) and then upon importing the document update the documentum object (companyname).

• mszurap
    edited October 2, 2008 #4

If you don't have license for DTS and don't want to purchase it, then you will have to code this functionality for yourself.

There is no such out-of-the-box functionality which makes that you want.

• ukdavo
    edited October 2, 2008 #5

Another option could be to write a BOF component that parses the MS Word document during checkin/import. It may be possible to utilise a 3rd party Java library to perform the parsing. I believe that POI allows you to read/write MS Word document content and properties. I've not tried this myself but it seems to be possible.

Regards

• Francois Dauberlieu
    edited October 2, 2008 #6

Sorry for the shameless self promotion but basically, what you's looking for is our OFCbridge product which can update Microsoft Office files from the Documentum metadata OR update the metadata from the office files.

Have a look on our web site for more information and you can also download a 30 days fully functional evaluation.

• Francois Dauberlieu
    edited October 2, 2008 #7

If you don't have license for DTS and don't want to purchase it, then you will have to code this functionality for yourself.

There is no such out-of-the-box functionality which makes that you want.

Not from Documentum but yes there is an out of the box product to do so.