Installing TeamSite seach on a seperate server? Help needed!

We are trying to install Interwoven 7.4.x while putting seach on a different server (as recommended by IWOV). as usual the documentation is horribly unclear. while doing the install on the main server do we not select teamsite search? I dont see a seperate search installer under our available downloads.

do we use the teamsite installer on the search server and only select "Search"? however when we try this this requires other components (teamsite 7.4.X)

my guess is that we dont check the search install on the main server? but if we do that how do we hook in to the search server? thanks in advance!

Comments

• I put TS and Search on the same server. Back in the 6.7 days they suggested diffferent servers.  But with 64 bit OS, tons of disk, memory and CPUs, there is no reason to keep them separate.  Good reasons not to. 

• Despite the response from @nipper - I believe the answer to your question is:

• You only install Search on the Search Server - with "Use Common Services on Another Computer" selected at the beginning of the process.

• While installing TeamSite on main server, you dont need to select "Search" component. Just install only the others for TeamSite. Infact you dont even need the IWOVTeamSiteSearch-Linux-7.4.1.0.iwpkg in the install folder.

There should be a separate package for Search, I see this under downloads. TeamSite Search Installation File Package

On your search server, just copy the package installer, .bin file and the search package .iwpkg and invoke the installer. During the installation of Search, the first thing is to "Use Common Services on Another Computer" option. Next you will need to provide the hostname and port number of your TeamSite Server.

The installation should finish successfully now. Should not have much hiccups.

• great feedback guys - thanks as always. I will mark this as solved once our install is successful later this week Smiley Happy

• hello again - we are running into issues with our search install. when we installed it on the same server its fine. however, on the seperate servers we are getting the errors below. any ideas? we have the files updated appropriately (i think)

ON TEAMSITE SERVER

An error occurred communicating with the search server: Search Server might be down : java.lang.Exception: Could not open connection to Search Server.

configuration file:

\Interwoven\TeamSite\cssdk\cssdk.cfg

search.server.host: *****************

ON SEARCH SERVER

[20 Oct 2014 14:50:28,768] FATAL com.interwoven.hunter.index.IndexServer (Thread-0) - Index server is unable to connect the TeamSite services
    [20 Oct 2014 14:50:28,768] WARN com.interwoven.hunter.index.IndexServer (Thread-0) - Unable to create IndexServer instance:
    com.interwoven.hunter.common.ServiceUnavailableException: Index server is unable to connect the TeamSite services
        at com.interwoven.hunter.index.IndexServer.performBasicChecks(IndexServer.java:375)
        at com.interwoven.hunter.index.IndexServer.createInstance(IndexServer.java:185)
        at com.interwoven.hunter.index.IndexServer.getInstance(IndexServer.java:129)
        at com.interwoven.hunter.index.connector.TeamSiteConnector.initIndexServer(TeamSiteConnector.java:91)
        at com.interwoven.hunter.index.connector.TeamSiteConnector.synchronize(TeamSiteConnector.java:129)
    [20 Oct 2014 14:50:28,784] FATAL com.interwoven.hunter.index.IndexServer (Thread-27) - Error in initialization of the Index Manager
    java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
        at com.interwoven.hunter.index.IndexServer.startListeners(IndexServer.java:420)
        at com.interwoven.hunter.index.IndexServer.start(IndexServer.java:390)
        at com.interwoven.hunter.index.connector.TeamSiteConnector.initIndexServer(TeamSiteConnector.java:92)
        at com.interwoven.hunter.index.connector.TeamSiteConnector.synchronize(TeamSiteConnector.java:129)
    [20 Oct 2014 15:57:25,627] INFO com.interwoven.hunter.index.IndexServer (Thread-0) - Trying to bind to port 6715
    [20 Oct 2014 15:57:25,627] INFO com.interwoven.hunter.index.IndexServer (Thread-0) - Bound to port 6715

• I assume your cssdk.cfg is configured with the correct search-server name or IP address, and that you've verified that whatever you put in there resolves correctly (i.e. via ping or telnet or such)

Did you also configure the Search / Index service to point to the TeamSite server?

i.e. the iw.teamsite.server.host setting in the search.properties file?

• fish - thanks for the feedback as always - we have both files set appropriately I think

Teamsite Server

\\dwa*******\Interwoven\TeamSite\cssdk\cssdk.cfg

search.server.host: dwsrx****

Search Server

\\DWSRX*****\Interwoven\Search\etc\search.properties

iw.teamsite.server.host=dwa*******

we have bounced the services on both boxes, and both boxes can ping each other like you suggested trying.

are there specific ports we need to open? I have noticed there is a new service "TeamSiteConnector" on the search box that is set to automatic but isnt running?

have you been installing search on the same box or different boxes still? Last upgrade they did here years ago IWOV highly recommended they put search on a seperate server due to performance issues. we installed it on the same server in our lab environment and everything seemed fine?

• The last time I did a Search installation (which was late last year I believe) - it was on a separate server - but we had to get a number of patches / QSU's for it from Support (some were available on the download site, some weren't)

The ports are important - if you have a service that is setup to run automatically and isn't - then you need to find the log files for that service and find out why it isn't running.

As much as we like trying to help folks out here - you might be best off opening a case with Support and engaging them in a LiveMeeting session so that they can see your setup in real-time (saves a tremendous amount of back-and-forth messages trying to ascertain the information).  If you do go that route, please remember to circle back here with the resolution.

• bmanilow13 wrote:

are there specific ports we need to open? I have noticed there is a new service "TeamSiteConnector" on the search box that is set to automatic but isnt running?

have you been installing search on the same box or different boxes still? Last upgrade they did here years ago IWOV highly recommended they put search on a seperate server due to performance issues. we installed it on the same server in our lab environment and everything seemed fine?

The TeamSiteConnector service is the Index Manager, so you'd want that to be running for sure.

And I have search services running on separate servers right now, no issues with the connection. The patches ghoti mentioned would make the Search run correctly, but it should be able to at least establish connections even without the patches. You certainly seem to be missing something somewhere, and I share the sentiment that a support ticket might be the best route, but if you want to continue this dialog, post the complete (relevant) portion of the log files on both sides.

Also note that TeamSite will need to connect to Search on port 6720. Search will need to connect to TeamSite on port 3035 (using a URL configured in search.properties that hasn't been mentioned so far in this thread, so double-check that).

In my experience, you'll usually want to get the Search side working first. Sometimes TeamSite will fail to connect to Search until its index is non-empty.

• Thanks all - finally got this sorted. Besides updating the configuration files mentioned we had to make both the TeamSite and Search servers "trusted" between each other via Windows firewall rules or seach wouldnt connect.

Also, note that if trying to re-install search on seperate box you will have to delete records from 2 IWOV system (common services?) database tables on the TeamSite box. Otherwise you will keep getting failed installs saying Search is already installed.

TeamSite Developer Resources

• Docker Automation

• LiveSite Content Services (LSCS) REST API

• Single Page Application (SPA) Modules

• TeamSite Add-ons

If you are interested in gaining full access to the content, you can register for a My Support account here.
OpenText CE Products
TeamSite
APIs