Common DCT for all Workareas

Options
under local/config/
we have datacapture.cfg and metadata-rules.cfg
4 items(instances) from this datacapture.cfg, wanted to make visible for some workareas... so applied rule in metadata-rules.cfg.

after the above change,

TASK 1:
In these workareas, if I open properties(then clicking TAG) of any file, those 4 fields appear and we can set some values here. After that Initiated a workflow to promote this file to PROD.

In this workflow, in perl(ext. task) how to read this meta properties using CLT commands and how to change certain field value?

TASK 2: (related)
BU provides XLS with meta properties for all files. Using perl, we have to set values corresponding to each file.

Thanks for answer. Aneel

Comments

• To set metadata manually BU clicks on TAG and sets the metadata.
    I posted this post, how to do programmatically for all files.

I got the hint. setting meta properties is also same as setting extended attribute.
    So, now I knew how to get, set even delete (-g, -s, -d) iwextattr.

But How to run this command??? (I'm doing CLT very first time)
    Q1. Just a .pl file is suffice, or .ipl file
    Q2. To run .pl or .ipl, do we need to initiate a workflow?

My task is,
    An excel sheet having all files(.pdf, .aspx, etc..) information with corresponding properties, for all workareas.

A row represents a file information(file path, WA, metadata)
    I have to set properties for that file and also for aspx pages, have to create an xml out of properties.

What do you suggest?
    Q3. A workflow with ext task ipl or just a simple ipl/pl

Reply...
  • You are asking a major design issue that no one here really has enough information (or time) to formulate a valid response.

TO answer some specific questions, an inline call can be an IPL or PL, it just has to execute from the command line and has to output the correct XML, including substitution tags.

You may want to set up debugging so that the PL/IPL can dump to a file and then get your environment variables and dump them to a file. You may some some specific information that will answer question #1.

As to XLS, that is a lousy design. While you can read XLS in Perl, it is neither easy nor fast. Try to dump that information to something more easily parsed like XML.

Whether you do some in a TPL or a WF is a question of your comfort. WF is probably better, but I have doen stuff like this in a TPL as well. Of course if you are using XSL instead of TPL, then WF will be much easier.
  • But How to run this command??? (I'm doing CLT very first time)
    Q1. Just a .pl file is suffice, or .ipl file
    Q2. To run .pl or .ipl, do we need to initiate a workflow?
    Q3. A workflow with ext task ipl or just a simple ipl/pl
    The file extension doesn't matter in this case. You can run your perl script manually by calling it through iwperl on a command line, i.e.

> TeamSite/iw-perl/bin/iwperl myScript.ipl arg1 arg2 arg3

For Q3, you can technically build it either way. But since it sounds like this has to be done by business users whenever they publish a file, doing it through a workflow task is the way to go. Manual scripts are mainly useful only for one-off and/or bulk changes.

Edit: bah! nipper beat me to it while I was typing. Smiley Tongue
  • Thanks for the post. Decided to run perl file by Command line.

BU will provide data in excel sheet (This is a bulk change for entire teamsite files). We will convert that Excel sheet to CSV type and read through perl script.

First we will try for one file, then one workarea. If all goes smooth implement for whole site.

In my previous project, we have similar implementation but ran the perl from GUI (sothat BU itself import the csv and select the action from Menu, which invokes the perl file). However I didn't notice how it was implemented that time.
TeamSite Developer Resources

• Docker Automation

• LiveSite Content Services (LSCS) REST API

• Single Page Application (SPA) Modules

• TeamSite Add-ons

If you are interested in gaining full access to the content, you can register for a My Support account here.
OpenText CE Products
TeamSite
APIs